How to overclock my RX 470 Nitro OC

Discussion in 'PC' started by DJSabreblade, Feb 3, 2017.

1. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

title says all..

got it 2 days ago..

the card is 1260 mhz stock
    i want to get it to 1400 mhz stable, honestly the temp never goes above 46 degees C with full fan power.
    what voltage and power limit changes do I have to apply in Sapphire TriXx to achieve this?

I can play games on 1400mhz and the card never ever overheats but 2 minutes in a game will crash to the desktop or even worse i will have to restart

Like always, any help is appreciated.

3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

your card simply does not get there, crash means, your oc is not stable, or your gpu is not getting enough power, try increasing core voltage for now... a screenshot from your OC software would be a great help.

4. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

6. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Ok, thanks. will try it..

7. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Thank you so much almost 2 hours of crash free game play! (it hasn't crashed yet 2:30+ hours later)

I tried +4 milivolts but that led to crashes and weird multi-colored artifacts. I then reset the voltage to normal.

What stopped the crashes was +13 power boost (can someone explain what this does exactly, does it allow more power than normal to the card?) with no change in voltage.

I can now play games on my Rx 470 nitro oc @ 1400 mhz! that is a 140 mhz boost and it really makes a difference in loading times, reduces any stutter i was experiencing in Unreal Tournament 4 (2017) 0.1.7.1 on everything on Ultra and 10+ fps boost in games like Crysis 3 @ all settings on Ultra and absolutely 100% smooth in Half-Life 2 Episode Two (didn't do fps test but at least 60+ fps all the time no matter whats on the screen)

But, I would only run this profile while gaming. I turn overclocks off during regualar computer use. I also turn the fans back to automatic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  8. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Glad to hear that, well from what i see, i think you can OC even further, Power limit and Temp Limit should be all the way to the right, no harm i doing that, already doing it to both of my gpus in here, i don't know mush about AMD, but in the green side, when you do that with Boost 2.0, it is basically telling the card to OC itself further as long as it didn't reach the red temperatures...

core voltages are your last resort, when you see artifacts and stuff while stress testing your gpu after you pushed even further, start increasing that, by (usually two) at the time but less is better...

a tip while tress testing monitor your TPD, if you start reaching your max try to back off a little, unless your gpu can do more than 100% (mine when it needs more, it just take it lel, i can see it using up to 109% from time to time)

also try OC'ing your vRam get it to 1800 if good try 1900 if good go to 2000, try no to go further than 2000 tho...

good luck.

9. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Great thanks man..!

10. joem

joem Producer

https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/valley/
    if you can run this till the end after your overclock than your fine if it crahses then pull it back also not just about your temps either always look at your power draw and the fans ive always set up custom fan curves to my gpus to keep them stable. and you will not be able to hit 1400mhz stable on the 470- just not powerful enough.

11. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

its not a standard RX 470 its a Sapphire RX 470 Nitro OC 4gb (stock is 1260 mhz not 950 or whatever the shitty model is). I have absolutely no problem running 1400 mhz and 1800 mhz memory and no crashes after heavy gameplay (with 50+ power draw) with unreal tournament 4 (everything maxed out on ultra settings) I don't feel I need to stress test either, it either games or it doesn't and ive been gaming for 4 hours running those setting without a crash and my max temp was only 56 C.

Also it only uses max 118 watts max load, but thats just so far after 4 hours of crash free gameplay on ultra settings, that is pretty much a stress test.

So Mr Lyann is right. I could see it to be impossible if it was the non sapphire nitro version with a 925 mhz base clock, then yes, it would be impossible, but not with a stock 1260.

keep in mind when im gaming i have the 2 fans set to 100% otherwise yes, it does crash. but i have no problem running the fans @ 100%

12. joem

joem Producer

your not really stressing the card though on a game thats like 12 years old now to fully make sure you get a decent overclock you need to run vally benchmark or another gpu stress test jeasus even stock intel igpu can run unreal tournament 4 at max, also why you dint just spend an extra few more dollers and get the 480 is beyond me.

13. joem

joem Producer

14. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Lol Unreal Tournament (2017) might want to check into it..its not a 12 year old game.. i get 45-60 fps on @ 1080p and ULTRA settings

My final thoughts : CLOCKS ARE STABLE

15. joem

joem Producer

still not that demanding of a game im getting 200 plus fps on it

16. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

you downloaded the alpha? you are getting those kind of frames because you have SLi'd GTX 1080's tho, so thats like $2000 (cad) vs $286 (cad) most people simply cannot afford that kind of setup. i will wait 4-5 years until 1080's become affordable. I would like Gtx's to but its out of my league..

17. joem

joem Producer

18. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

yeah i just downloaded the latest one available from ''the Russian site''

the problem i have is i cant play half the maps because they are locked for store only..? i am offline on that computer so i have no idea how to bypass that..

19. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

update : for anyone else with this card, you can (or at least i can) some people say it all depends on the quality of the individual card, some cards even of the exact same model cannot be overclocked well. my card is crazy for a rx 470 oc nitro 4gb. for example i took the sides off my case to allow more airflow and moved my 2 case fans closer to video card, to blow more cool air on it. with this new setup i can achieve a stable 1450 mhz core clock and 1800 mhz memory. that is an incredible overclock for running on only air..also the temperature never exceeds 61 degrees C. so i could probably push the card to 1500 mhz core clock if i really want to..we'll see..lol so far extremely happy with the performance im getting out of the overclock in all games.

Yes.. i could go to 1500 mhz, but..that is already a hefty amount of current to be passing through the ciruit board which it most likely isn't made for. highest power draw ive seen so far is 279.8 watts (just quick spikes) with 50% power draw setting on wattman.. is that safe for this card? my guess for a short duration spike it should be fine.

20. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

you got a good chip, always good to hear...

try not to over-push it, as some games (even tho you've got a stable OC and almost all game run just fine) will crash, some games are just too sensitive to OC.

good luck man

21. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

thanks. i now have 20+ more fps than stock clocks in all games i play. i have no need to go further. the oc makes the difference between smooth gameplay and not. the standard card actually kinda sucks, that was my problem. i am now running a similar speed comparible to a RX 480 frames. :wink::like:

Stock OC
    1260 > 1450 core

1750 > 1800 memory

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017