how to mix/make/process guitars like this?

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by ia, Sep 5, 2016.

1. ia

ia Producer

Hello my friends! I have another interesting question for: how to mix/make/process guitars like this?

Right now my shreddage guitar sounds something like that:

As you can note this guitar sound is very weak, flat and lifeless. It feels like this guys just sampled this guitar riff from somewhere: some metal track or old sample CD. but anyway it sounds very lifeless and dull. without rock/metal energy that everyone of us loves. sound of beginner producer..

And match it with Grant Mohrman remixing (or what is it):

yeah! very powerfull and modern sound with a lot of emotions.. This giutars sound full, bright, powerfull, wide... so it makes a 'wall of sound' for my sense. so, how can I make same great sound using shreddage and ampsims?
    Thanks and god bless you!

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

it's a very ancient technique long forgotten. it's called talent, and real (omg what??) playing on the instrument...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

Could someone just answer his question please? I'd like to know as well... Please no more "you just need talent" or "learn to play a REAL guitar" like so many other guitar sample threads. Thanks. :wink:

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

It has compression, EQ,widening of mid and high bands,chorus,gate and possibly flanger too. But it isn't just the guitars. Listen to how the bass and kick all has it's own wonderfully crafted space to sit in.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

8. ia

ia Producer

nice joke. thank you

9. Oleksandr

Oleksandr Ultrasonic

Wow Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005,damn man this music brought some memories.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. ia

ia Producer

it seems like no SC compression on the bass, but maybe some tuning and subtractive EQ'ing (boost fundamental freq of kik and cut this freq on bass)?

11. ia

ia Producer

yeah! I love it so much too

12. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Someone did...

That is the answer.You are comparing apples and brussel sprouts. The first track is sampled guitar being drawn in on a midi editor or played poorly on a keyboard. The second is a person playing on a real guitar, mic through a real amp, etc. Those two ideas will never sound the same with this type of 16th or 8th note rock. I've tried a lot in the past and realized i just needed to play guitar for real if it want this type of music to sound heavy and full. Otherwise it sounds to anemic and robotic. The problem is, triggering the midi in that manner lacks upstrokes and ghost notes, and fingers sliding across strings.

You can get away with with a midi guitar, but you still need to know how to play guitar. Or the only other instance you can get away with it, is whole note or half note riffs with held chords. A la Linkin Park choruses.

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Double, tripple, quad+ tracking, tons of compressor saturation as well

14. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

I believe he was asking more from a mixing/processing perspective, you know, like in the thread title?

15. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

SOB are amazing, some good flows and beats

16. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

The thread title is how to mix/make/process guitars. And that is how you make them. If the guitars don't already sound like rock guitars mixing or processing won't help them. PLus what @subGENRE said.

17. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

Did you even read the OP my friend?

18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

There are two ways.
    First is proper mixing.
    The second more popular on audiosex is 10 compressors on each channel.

19. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    While some people might claim that adding lots of layering, compression, saturation, and spatial effects will give you a "wall of sound," Tony Platt, of AC/DC guitar tone fame, will tell you that it's only a great amp with a great guitar and a great player: One amp, one guitar, one take. Of course, fortunately for him, his fame was built around a Marshall Plexi, a Gibson SG, and the Young brothers.

There are two main approaches to producing guitar tones: (1) Get the tone at the amp and record away. However, it implies owning a decent-quality amp, a solid mic and a room that won't color the sound too badly. The other approach is (2) Record a clean DI guitar and reamp it (through a real amp or an amp emulation) to get the tone you want. Depending on your resources you might opt for one or the other method. There are lots of videos on YouTube on the subject.

In any case, you might want to consider the following pointers:

1. For recording or reamping, use a small amp. You'll never crank a 100 watt amp without getting all kinds of rattling and overtones from everything in the room. Nasty. A 5-10 watt tube amp will do great.

2. Control your room sound. Find a sweet spot. This is especially important if you use only a condenser mic. BTW, if you use a condenser, set some distance between the amp and the mic (30 - 45cm). If you use only an SM57, you'll get a beautiful crunchy tone, but you'll lack ambience as you typically place the SM57 tightly close to the speaker grill. The big guitar tone comes in part from the room (or the cabinet emutation of your choice).

3. Record at least two identical takes of every guitar part. Don't copy and paste your way through the song. The ear is very sensitive to the nuances in guitar playing. The two takes layered together will give you a sense of motion that single-take guitars lack, plus the fact that you can pan them at will.

I hope this serves. I may be skipping a thing or two. Maybe other pals can chip in their ideas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  20. ia

ia Producer

Thank you! Very useful advices but I'm using shreddage DI. So I think to take a look on mixing and layering. For my ears it's sounding like quad tracks with 2 different amps + maybe layered with clean gtrs for clarity and presence. I don't know exactly

21. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

i hope you guys "hear" that the first sample is played with a midi keyboard. from that shit you cannot make a proper sounding guitar track.