How to memorize the Interval chart like multiplication table

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Oct 18, 2015.

1. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

That's the same as saying "you can answer a question, but only if there's a question". Kinda redundant..

If someone "tells me the notes", I read it on a staff, I read it in roman numerals, I hear it on the radio, whatever... a V to I won't turn into a iii to IV just because of the way it is transmited.

You're clearly confused...

So... music only exists if I hand it out for someone to play it? Well, that means that everytime I hear a V to I on the radio.. it is ghost music that doesn't exist?

The theory of it being a V to I is intrinsecal to the notes/intervals, you still don't understand that. If I hear, play or write something that is a V to I, it is a V to I no matter what the medium is or who is playing it.

If I "perform a V to I" or if I write it and give it on staff for others to play.. what's the difference? Does it change it's essence?

If I hand out that V to I in staff for horn players, tab for guitar players and piano roll for computer players... does it change anything?

No.

In case you haven't noticed (which would be miraculous since it's written all over my posts and images), there's always a "1" or a "R" that represents the reference tone.

Anything else?

2. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I think that REALLY sums it up. Let me tell you, you're extremely ignorant regarding these matters and your ego sure is a huge major obstacle to you getting out of that shitty mindset.

Go tell all the musicians that they are wrong, that intervalic thought is wrong and that there's only one valid theory for music.

You can start by correcting Jamey Aebersold, I've already posted his chart.

:rofl:

BTW, poor people who aren't "westerners" in music tradition. They are all wrong, just like our ancestors were. The correct universal music theory is the one we have today, thank god!

Oh... and how about indian music? That shit is ALL WRONG, I don't even know where to begin!!

3. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

it s funny when u pretend that u dont understand, predictable form a dumbass like u.I suggest to to take the dictionary and search the verb "play"because it applies to the radio broadcasting music.But the concept doesn t change, music doesn t exist if no sound is produced
    YEs it does,because u can t simply go to someone and tell them play a V I,u have to tell them a V I of what.
    And if u go to the horn players your reference tone are not the same,are u aware of that? SO saying R rather than simply using a fucking name for a note is just stupid,and worthy of u

4. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Dude, go get some lessons.

The obstacle here is that you have bits of info but very little real knowledge on the subject.

That and your unwillingless to understand makes this a futile exercise in trying to show you things.

edit:

"R" is the root/reference note name you dumbass. That's why you don't need further note names and enharmonics and transposing is quick and easy.

5. duskwings

keep on inventing things,it s the only thing u can do to defend your idiocy
    I just tell u that i used that approach showed in the james aebersold chart the first time i started to learn modes.
    It s far from being practical
    how can learning the dorian scale as a w h w w w h w be easier than simply learning the main two scales on western music and say that the dorian cale is a minor scale with a major sixth,it even implies reasoning by intervals more that the abersold way.
    And don t assume things i never said

6. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Just found out that there are books only on this specific subject. If anyone's willing to read the description and the comments, maybe you'll even buy the book (not for close minded pricks that have been taught Universal Music Theory lol).

ama zon /Music-Theory-Decoded-Strictly-Numbers/dp/125701983X

7. duskwings

U r actually stupid,no question about it.U don t know a fucking anything if not in an bastract level ,and what u know is so screwed up that t only works for u.And the prove of it is that u wrote countless posts about the inutility of note names since notes in the absolute have no names, but eventually u give up accepting toat least one name to a note that s the root,that s almost dscriminatory fr the other notes

8. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Right... because if you don't fully understand something or it doesn't fit your workflow, then it is wrong.

9. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

You see no benefit in applying one intervalic structure to a single note instead of having to name a bunch of notes?

Clearly you won't get either the benefits of transposition. Probably you don't even understand people who use movable C.

You're right, I 've been faking it. I know nothing about music, in fact I am salesman.

Got ya!! :rofl:

10. duskwings

i didn t say it s wrong ,i said it s not practical,but agin, u r stupid so i don t expect that u understand.
    I could go on tdebading on the purpose of that chart,telling u all the aebersold play along books i used,but i m just tired to talk to u because u r hopeless

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  11. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

"it s not practical" vs "it doesn't fit your workflow"

Your lack of comprehension skills goes beyond music, maybe that's what's keeping you from understanding music related theories.

Edit:

Sorry, I meant "theory", not "theories".. since there's only one.

12. duskwings

it s beneficial if u want to settle on geometry ,there s nothing wrong with that.
    Maybe u r a musician,i don t know,the world considers kurt kobain a musician too, so u can fit in somehow

13. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Yep, keep adding those, they're really working well for your profile.

It puzzles me how you haven't got into racist comments yet.

14. duskwings

i heard how u play guitar, u r not much better than him

15. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Oh, you think I am better than Kurt Cobain from watching just a one minute song that I wrote?

Thanks!! :wink:

16. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

Is that sarcasm ?
    :winker:
    Of course I have heard of his amazingly enormous contribution to jazz and music as a whole.

You have posted a table that shows how chords and scales that relate to each other. Given the chords harmonic function, in 5 separate categories. It shows how the chords are built from the root and how the scales are built in T and s-t. You could show how to play a scale in 3rds...
    Take lydian

C M3-> E m3-> G M3-> B m3-> D M3-> F# m3-> A m3- C

If you did this on your piano roll and transposed it to F instead of C you would be playing one(apart from tonic) of each note on only white keys. It'll sound nice. Try playing all the white keys together in one octave... Or even out of a different key for that matter. Try playing all the white notes with a C as the lowest note. The #4/#11 would be natural.

Nowhere on that page is the word interval. It does not describe how if you were to create a melody that maybe jumps around a scale, how the melody is moving. Essentially up or down in pitch. I guess it could stay the same. The contours of melody...

That table contains some good information, the second section (C7sus4) shows that if you build a Maj Pentatonic from the b7 of Dom7sus4 chord you can improvise with this scale. It add the 2nd or 9th degree to what could be also defined as Arpeggio.

When you say DOM7b9 - 1 -b3 -5 -b7 -b9(I don't want to have to find the post) it does not say the pitch of each degree. Assuming left to right, it is a closed position chord. Well what about open voiced chords ? Take a simple C Maj (C E G)closed voice triad on piano roll, if you raise the third an octave then the intervals between said chords have changed. I know you don't like staffs but that is also what they show.

Closed: C M3-> E m3-> G
    Open : C P5-> G M6-> E I think...
    If you use dr bops method he'd say E, ( No F), G. Must be minor third. not #2 as there is an omitted note between.) , but we want the reverse so invert the interval, seen as they must add up to 9(Assuming it is within an octave) and it's not a perfect interval we also invert it from minor to major.

17. duskwings

actually i think everyone is better than that junky.Nonetheless your touch on the guitar sucks a pig s ass,u need alittle more coordination beween your hands.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  18. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

The way you to talk about a V - I makes me really nervous about bringing up.........

Secondary dominants.

19. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

It doesn't say how to cook eggs either, what's your point? The word "interval" might not be there but.. what do you think that chart is about then?

It does not say the pitch of each degree? What if I told that THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THAT TABLE? Don't you know what a formula is?

How can you know something about me that I've never said and is in fact not true? Copy/paste your sources please. I keep saying this but you never do it.

Bottom line: You totally missed the point of the chart. The kind of thinking behind it is to get to ABSOLUTE INTERVALS. Why do you feel the need to dabble with the correct note names and all that diatonic framework? The note names are still there no matter what you want to call them but they are not the ones who are making the music, intervals between pitches are!

20. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Fantastic, you know everything about a musician just by watching him play one of the instruments on a one minute video.

Anyways, my poor skills on guitar are directly related to my poor musical knowledge and compositional skills so there's nothing I can do.