How to Master a Song

Discussion in 'Education' started by SillySausage, Nov 12, 2012.

1. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0FpX200S1s :mates:

gives you an idea how to go about it

3. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Seriously? I would have discarded it right away just by seeing the word "LOUD" and the "sausage" track in the DAW. But then I decided to withstand the potential torture and go a few minutes in, really not expecting to hear anything new or sophisticated or good. To begin with, I really didn't like the "mastered" example. It was noisy and distorted as fuck. And then... I closed it off at 7:40. That's how far I could go.

4. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Seriously? LOL :bleh:

5. AMERICUH

AMERICUH Kapellmeister

Yeah not the best Guide for Mastering ..

Have a look at this YT-Playlist, much better.

YouTube

6. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Seriously its a 30 minute video, not a 2 year college degree course, posted it because it is nice and simple, he even admits that in the vid, the nice thing is you can actually hear the difference as he applies the fx to his song. I posted it for beginners, not for serious professionals as yourselves.

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i normally send my mixdown i think its good to an audio engineer - he listen to the mixdown and will give me some suggestions back how i should rework my mixdown. when the mixdown is perfect in my opinion and in his - then i send him the mixdown to master it finally for me.
    (i always send a track which sounds like i want to sound master (loudness, freqs).

i think mastering your own tracks is a kind of a bad idee - because you are mostly to deep inside track - you worked to long on the track and this will keep you far from ending good with something.

(havnt watched the video - because im abit short on time ...)