How to make this synth bass?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by mudworm43, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

How to make this synth bass playing during the chorus? Thanks!

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

This reminds me of like typical 90's FM bass with lowpass filter envelope.
    Or an envelope (pretty fast decay) that controls "FM amount".
    Edit: there seems to be a little attack aswell, so the FM/filter doesn't go down right away, but rather up fast and then down. "Uaauuu".
    I'll try to make a quick video for you tomorrow, if you want. Couldn't find a good video on youtube or anything.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  4. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Thank you so much! I just needed some guidelines :) you really don't have to go through the trouble of making a video, I really appreciate it but I don't want to burden you. Thank you once again!

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

No problem.
    Try to assign an envelope to the first modulator of an FM synth. Set a tiny bit of attack and some longer decay (no sustain, no release), so that the amount/frequency starts high and then falls (decay) to resting sine/simple/init FM. That will be the basics of it.
    After that you can layer (oscillator) it (maybe a sine an octave below), saturate it, etc etc.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Baxter...

I.. ii... i have feelings for you ♥

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Member

You can go FM or you can pick a 2 OSC synth. It's all about the filter modulation here.

Play on low notes (C0-C1) for the bass sound, or lower the OSC octaves, this is up to you. Pick 2 sawtooths for both Osc 1 and Osc 2. Slightly detune them against each other, like by a couple of cents. Fast attack on the AMP envelope (5ms or less), no Decay, full Sustain and Release to your liking.

That character for this sound is going to be driven by Filter Modulation. Use a 24dB per octave Low Pass filter, with around 20% Q (Resonance) and Cutoff slighty open (near full closed).

For the filter envelope, use a fast Attack (5 ms or less), play with the Decay (900 ms should be about right) no Sustain and the Release here has no impact since there is no Sustain. Then you just have to decide on the amount of the modulation envelope. If your synth has Unisson Detune, give it a tad. And that's pretty much it.

For the FM approach, use Sine waves on both the modulator Osc and the carrier Osc. Use a Ratio of 0,5 on the carrier, Fast Attack, no Decay, Full Sustain and Release to your liking.
    For the modulator Osc, use a Ratio of 1, Fast Attack, Decay at about 7 ms or so and no Sustain. Play with the level of this one. If the carrier is set at 0dB this one should be lower, -3,5dB is a good place to start.

24 dB per octave Low Pass Filter with 10/20% Q (Resonance), Fast Attack, Decay between 1 to 3 seconds (play with it), no Sustain. Then adjust the envelope amount and you're set.

(THE EXTRA MILE)

For a more expressive sound, do some gentle Saturation/Overdrive to your sound and there it is. This will make the sound more aggressive.

If you feel like it's lacking bottom end, stack a 3rd Osc with a sine wave playing on a lower octave or just use your sub osc with a sine wave if your synth has one. If that's not the case, stack a 2nd synth with the sine wave on the lower octave and make it Mono. For more control send both tracks to a BUS and apply just a tad of compression and EQ to your liking. This patch can also benefit from a gentle touch of Chorus.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017