How To Make This Stab Sound?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by AB69, Oct 21, 2016.

1. AB69

AB69 Newbie

(2:04)

(1:43)

Very quick percussion sounding stab. I'm not sure how to make it at all tbh. I plan on using either Sylenth or Spire for this, unless this sound may be done through a sampler instead?

It sounds very squarish, pluckish obviously. Idk if I should be using a synth or trying to find some sort of sample. If I am using a synth could someone give me some guidance on how it's done? If I am looking for a sample, what kind of sample am I looking for? A stab sound? A percussion sound and process it as a stab?

If I am making it in a synth, what specific parameters would I be modulating? I know about the quick ADSR, filter cut off, but anything else regarding the pitch?

Will appreciate any advice, thanks.

3. modelarmy

modelarmy Ultrasonic

Maybe using an arpeggiator, sidechain? LFO Tool?

4. AB69

AB69 Newbie

Im talking about the sound itself

5. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

its definitley a square: 0 atk, set dec to where you would a snare or tom, no sus, no rel. add saturation how you seefit. enjoy!

6. AB69

AB69 Newbie

Bump. Will appreciate any in depth advice please.

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Well AwDee.0's advice was pretty on-point, just sparsely worded.

Set up a square wave with zero attack, Short decay and low sustain. keep the release all the way down if you want to add some of those stuttery short notes in. There's some distortion... and I'm hearing some fuzziness in there. It could just be that there's a distortion cranked way up in parallel, but I would try some redux type stuff on there. Bit crush, downsample. If that sounds wrong, try a soft noise oscillator. Or if it was made in Live it could be the Erosion effect. My money's on bitcrush & downsample. I'm not hearing much, if any, stereo spread so i'd ignore unison. Although, when the track is as busy as this one, it's really hard for me to tell what's coming from where, and I have some hearing loss in one ear from a sports injury, so my perception of stereo spread is not the best to begin with. Also, it sounds like there's at least two square wave oscillators an octave apart.

If you want to add some extra snappiness to the attack, and a very sharp, short pitch envelope to the beginning of the sound. Not slow enough to actually hear the pitch drop. Very fast pitch drop is how drum sounds are made, so if you want it to really snap, that's how to do it. This is 100% a la carte though, because I don't believe it's in the original sound

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016