how to make this harsh synth sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by statik, Feb 20, 2022.

1. statik

statik Audiosexual

there's 2 sounds in the linked part of the song, i'm actually looking how to make both. i mean i could ask Flo who has been a good friend for years and the mastermind behind Phosgore but just surprising him with a cover version of the song would seem more fun but i have no clue on where to start since i've never heard a sound quite like it so any help would be appreciated.

3. Polomo

Polomo Guest

Hi could you please give the time stamps (there is so much happening :winker:)

If I'm guessing right :
    the first could be a down pitched Musical saw with reverb, delay and distortion )
    the second sound could be an up pitched Sonar sound

unlikely but also possibly are the screams a "female" vocal scream with a bit of reverb
    Everything else Drums,Arp,etc are "basic" stuff, so I don't think that's the sound of desire

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2022
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

1:09 for sure. That is abrasive as hell! It's from 2012. I'm going to guess it is a Virus TI and then external distortion. particularly from the Prodigy styled arp in the breakdown.

5. statik

statik Audiosexual

ah crap, it didnt take the time index from the share link. the sounds i mean are at 2:22

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

well, Omnisphere was around then. I can make some surprisingly abrasive stuff in it too. its nasty either way. you mean the screeching ring mod type thing? I have to listen a few more times.

7. statik

statik Audiosexual

both sounds in that break

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

do you know Industrial Strength Records? It's that style. sorta hardstyle trance or whatnot. You can make abrasive sounds in Serum pretty damn easily. it sounds like some combination of the resonance of a filter cutoff opening, and with some of the ring mod/noise. as its own percussive layer. you can hear it pitch down near the end of the part.

you have the dsp virus emulator working?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Great shit. :like:

10. statik

statik Audiosexual

he is awesome yeah, fun fact: the first time i met him was in london when i was playing at slimelight with the peoples republic of europe, he was our support act back then, a few years later we were his support act and from then on we regularly played at slimelight together. throughout the years we regularly played the same festivals and everytime he plays in holland he invites me. cool guy and great friend.

11. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

That's the kind of stories I really like.