how to make this guitar sound?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by junt, Nov 29, 2015.

1. junt

junt Member

thanks!

3. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

It's two guitar parts harmonizing, the tone is bridge pickup with a little bit of overdrive. Pretty midrangey. A little bit of reverb too. If you're using an amp sim, I would use a Fender tweed.

4. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Wich guitar? Both are pretty easy... Small amp, fuzz pedal, distant miking , spring reverb. Think 60's era stuff brother

5. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

For a pop song, they're really good guitar parts for funk and soul, and I wonder if it's an older song just sampled. I'm gonna learn this in the morning. There's some really cool chords in this.

6. junt

junt Member

could i possibly emulate this using a sample guitar or software. not plugging in a guitar.i think the producer might made this not sampled the producer is tyler, the creator. i just want the tone or sound how he make those guitars like sustaining? forgive me for my english my vocab is bad my first time fucking around with a guitar sound really. thanks for replying
    i agree his chords are rly nice

7. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

The bass player keeps changing the tonality but it's basically a Gb Major 7 to Eb Minor 7 or B Major triad over Eb and at several points in the progression the bass player does a Bb to Eb with the guitar doing in essence Bb minor to B Natural Major... So the song is in Gb (or F#, same thing)... but because those are rarely played by guitarists nowadays, I'm guessing these are samples slowed down from the original key of G.
    Another shitty two-chord progression... wow, will it ever end?

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

No, not really. In fact this track has some really simple guitars with only two chords, so it's a "great" (yet musically crappy) track to learn guitar on.

Please don't make this just another "This is a guitar but I don't want to record/use/play a guitar"-thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. junt

junt Member

dude i have no guitar why u have to be like that? thats why im asking smh

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Since you were asking, I replied (having played guitar for 20 years now).
    There must be friends around who can play guitar. If not, you can borrow/buy a guitar and learn.
    All I'm saying is that if you want a guitar sound you get a guitar.
    It's that simple. Smh

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Several people who play the guitar are "virtual guitar phobics". No matter if you're fine with the drawbacks of using a VG like inferior quality and glad with the benefits (money, time). Or when you just don't have a choice.

On the other side the easier the song the better results you can get from a VG. Specially from chords. If you can get or write the partiture /tablature I'd try to help you getting the tone using the good advices of the mates.

@Baxter, before killing me: I'm not saying you're unreasonable nor an arrogant, my best friend during many years had (and has) very similar opinion. I'm just describing how it looks like to me from my non guitarist side.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

As someone who is a mediocre-to-bad guitar player (played off and on since 13 years old but never really applied myself to it), it does sound kind of obvious when someone's using a multisampled guitar, but I suspect a lot of that is because it's tough to play a controller to sound like a guitar. Also, the kind of people who don't or can't play guitar or get someone else to do it, are less likely to be musically inclined or dedicated enough to closely mimic the way a guitar is played.

To say nothing of virtual guitars or the people who use them, that is. I myself have used a crappy guitar multi that came with Ableton Suite instead of just tuning the old guitar and plugging it in.

Never thought I'd live to see Baxter become the heel :rofl:
    The guy contributes more to Working With Sound forums than pretty much everyone else combined

13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I am aware that my comment can come off like me being an asshole, but I said this with a smiley on my face and I meant only well (maybe I should have put a few smileys in the text aswell). I apologize if my reply hurt any internet-feelings. :)

I know that you get really good results with multi-sampled guitar these days. It's a wonderful tool and if it works, use it!! But it also has its limitations and could end up sounding like some other track with the same sounds/chords/whatever.

The problem these days, and with many (not all) of the younger producers, is that since everything else in electronic music production is ITB - why can't guitars be? I don't really want to utter the word lazy, but I feel that many young producers (not all) have gotten lazy and spoiled, so much that they miss out learning real instruments, playing in bands, making/creating their own sounds, and also finding their own voice by doing so. It's not the same level of DIY as it was just 15 years ago. I think this is one reason why alot of the music these days sound all the same or very similar.

Yes, I might sound like an old fart, but I get excited when I see young electronic (IDM, EDM, Dubstep, Industrial, chiptunes, whatever) musicians/producers who can actually play several instruments and have a history in playing in bands, grinding it out on the road. Zedd, Skrillex, Bassnectar, Borgore, Knife Party, Kill The Noise, etc just to name a few.

I like helping out as much as I can on these forums, cause I've been there myself. I remember how happy I was when I made my own sounds on a synth or when I learned/played my first four chords on guitar. I also remember the frustration when my sounds didn't sound like my favorite artists. Today I know tons of shit, and why not share the knowledge that I've gathered over many years and countless hours?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  14. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Back to the original question. I am hearing possibly 3 guitar parts at the beginning. One is playing chord strums. This guitar is a semi-clean tone with the chord voicing on the upper strings (mid/bridge pickup), there is a nice short reverb with a little pre-delay panned to the right side. Guitar two is playing a simple figure arpeggiating the chords, the tone is cleaner, and darker (neck pickup). There is a third possible "guitar" but it may be a keyboard of some sort as well playing the sustaining sound (could be an acoustic piano or a Wurlitzer). It almost sounds to me like it is a sample of a long sustaining guitar pluck that is running through a univibe or similar modulation effect. It has a distinctive gain/LFO pattern that is similar to a univibe, the overdrive modulates slightly as the note sustains, but without the typical phasing you get with a univibe. So it could also be a tremolo at 25-40% wet with a combination ramp/square LFO running before a distortion/overdrive then to the amp. It sounds to me like all of the guitar parts are samples, due to the extreme consistency and the repetitive nature of the parts.

My contribution to the i/otb discussion is "knowledge talks, wisdom listens". Nobody ever asked Michelagenlo what kind of brush he used to paint the sistine chapel...

What's cool to Suzy is cool, what isn't isn't. Also for the last 50 years most trends in music have been driven by Suzy Creamcheese the imaginary 12 year-old girl that Frank Zappa made up. If you don't like the direction of pop music take it up with Suzy, she buys far more of it than semi-middle-aged semi-retired musician/hipsters ever could so her opinion alone drives the evolution of corporate music entertainment. Sad... but true.

15. mackenzielaffer

mackenzielaffer Newbie

5 Secret Ways to Get the Guitar Tone of Your Dreams
    Tone Tip #1: Clean It Up
    Tone Tip #2: Pickup Heights
    Tone Tip #3: Pick A Winner
    Tone Tip #4: It All Starts With The Wood
    Tone Tip #5: Use Your Volume Control!

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I pretty much agree with your opinion in this last post. As a metal music lover I'd never be even close to think VG can be used in a professional song. At least, in rock genres and sugenres. I don't know in electronic types.

Just like you, I expressed very clearly my point of view. We VG users are very tired when in every thread in every music forum where someone asks advice about a VG comes out someone and says "real guitars and real guitarists are better". Ok, we all know that, and in fact is OT.

That being said, no offense taken.

Sorry for the OT

Cheers :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  17. Kapatron

Kapatron Member

I play guitar and hire them all the time... HOWEVER, the easiest way (this is done a lot in pop) is to re-sample an already recorded (well-engineered) guitar line and re-use it. If you don't record and mic stuff, the next easiest way (NOT USING VIRTUAL GUITAR STUFF) is to just get a few well recorded guitar sample kits (smaller ones with single note lead lines are easy to manipulate and still sound great). A place to START would be vengeance guitars 1 & 2 which will keep you coloring in the lines but at least you have a decent sound to start with.

Remember if you have the line one at a time, you can combine notes to make your own chords. You would be surprised at how many commercial tracks are re-sampled and stacked this way. (the guitar part for "broken hearted" by karmin (programmed by Cirkut) was done this way)

The last thing you can do is literally download an mp3 library of all the greatest tracks / mults in history in your genre and lift samples of guitar and bass lines from actual songs... instant vibe and get familiar with stretching, and shifting on the grid or in melodyne editor or whatever... because typically, once it's done, it may be unrecognizable from the original or if your song becomes great you can license the sample or just replace it at the end of the process with a real part. Always license samples (isn't THAT hard to do) once you go to release a track, but I always encourage people to explore and expand. Much of what people like and expect in music has to do with the canon of music history anyway so you are win-win all around.

The virtual guitar stuff typically has very average vanilla engineering (possibly not done by working engineers in the actual business). The instruments seem to lack vibe and carries very little inspiration with the way the library was recorded. So while they may help with a BLEND, it's less likely you will have a STAND-OUT in your face detailed guitar part you want to feature in a hook or something.

Have fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. junt

junt Member

this will really help thanks for the info and tips dude!