How to make this exact electric guitar sound/lick?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by belinea2010, May 1, 2017.

1. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

One for the Guitarists?

I have spent far too many hours in VST trying to replicate the lick or riff (I am unsure of the right term) that is in the 4th beat of this one bar loop. I hate admitting defeat as I believe in trying to work something out yourself but this has got the better of me so....

I think it is a D# but nothing I have tried sounds like the right notes or even the overall sound it's self.

I have tried using Ample Sound AGF, Orange Tree Evolution Strawberry and Stratosphere, MusicLab RealStrat, Scarbee Funk Guitarist and Steinberg Virtual Guitarist - Electric - all put through NI Guitar Rig 5 or IK AmpliTube 4.

Do not worry about sticking to any of the above as I will be happy to get what ever software you suggest if you are able to make this sound.

You guys help so many people and I would be very grateful for the help.

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Its like a unison bend with out the bend.....? Not sure without sounding it out but I think its just the 1st and 4th notes of the scale/chord.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Try the F#/A#/D# on the 11th fret on the G B and hi E strings. Just noodled it out on the Takamine (my acoustic)

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  5. belinea2010

Hi sub and many thanks for your replys.

As I am not a guitar player and I am using VSTi's what you have suggested has just gone right over my head.

I have just tried playing the G# and D# as you suggest using Orange Tree Stratosphere but the problem I am finding with Guitar VSTi's is they all seem to be stuck in one octive range and none of the ones I have seem to be able to play as high up the range as the one I am trying to replicate.

So with out being able to get the sound up high enough I can not tell if what I am playing are the correct notes (if you see what I mean?).

6. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@belinea2010
    Theres usually a setting where you can control where it plays. Like autochord detection or exactly how you play it. Ill fire up kontakt and check it out

7. belinea2010

Thats really cool of you - thanks.

To my untrained ears its a really snappy sound - I would call it a twang (probably incorrectly) and I am wondering if it is an upstroke and/or through some kind of Wah effect...

I have heard it before in other songs most noticeably in Roxy Musics "Love is the Drug" and Rick Parfett plays it in the verse section of Status Quo's "Caroline" although its a completely different sound to the one I need. Watching video of Quo playing Caroline live Rick is defo playing it on an upstroke.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I just did just playing the notes I mentioned in AGF2 right above Midle C (C3) on my midi controller

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

notes.JPG

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Its hard to tell but if you look closely you can see the keys pressed in the plugin right above the C3

Edit: I notated it....

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I used the ample because I didnt have strawberry anymore.
    I hope this helps

12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

It almost definitely an upstroke with some wah or filter. This style of chording/playing is a simplified version of the "chicky chicky wah wah" lol syncopated funk style
    sry for the sound effects but we all know what Im saying.

13. belinea2010

Hi Sub

This is really good of you to go to this trouble - really appreciate it.

I have recreated exactly what you have done and I think you are spot on with the notes to play.

What I will say is the sample I provided seems to be playing in a higher register but if I transpose
    the notes up to the next octave it sounds rubbish so it must be done to what ever the guitar player
    is running his guitar through?

14. belinea2010

Yeah - the sound is from a Disco/Funk track - RR Express by Rose Royce so the Wah would make sense

15. belinea2010

BTW - Chicky Chicky is a perfect description :)

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

or lose the low note maybe? hold on...

17. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Here it is in a different position. not a whole octave just a different inversion chord2.JPG
    I dropped the F# out of it too

18. belinea2010

Ooo let me try it

19. belinea2010

To me that sounds more like it - I think I have to play with the processing now.

Try and get some of that "snap" that is in the original, maybe it is down to the attack.

20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

okay, ill send you my PayPal info in a pm....lol Im just kidding man. I like to give back to the online community that helped me when I had no idea what I was doing. Full circle

21. LigetiFan

LigetiFan Newbie

The notes are D and D#, nothing else. Anything lower is going to darken the sound. Start from there and then see what processing you want to do to get closer to the sonic quality: it sounds like a slightly chorused Telecaster to me.