How to make this 808 sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Richard Phelps, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Richard Phelps

Richard Phelps Member

This track has a really unique dissonant 808 sound. How would you try to recreate it?

Sound is at 0:33

3. yayomalayo

yayomalayo Member

I like the sound design on this track

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  4. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Layer two boomy 808 kicks maybe a semitone apart (can't hurt to try other tunings either), then distort and compress to hell.

5. yayomalayo

yayomalayo Member

Sounds to me like distortion + a tremolo with rate automation or a LFO linked to the volume

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

"808". Now everything bassy is an 808, which originally wav just a sine. :rofl:

Layer two sounds that both have a little pitch envelope (falling). Same envelope can control the tremolo rate if you'd like (the "tremolo" could also be a very low lowpassed saw oscillator).
    1) Distorted and bandpassed low-mid gravel like sound
    2) Saw wave bandpassed (100% keytracked) and little saturated

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Rockseller

Rockseller Platinum Record

808 studio (mk1) is easy i.e. and brings a lot of options. (808 studio 2 is different). Also the new replik vst may be interesting for crazy kicks.
    if you want to build your own i can share samples i recorded from analog gear. its like a DIY kit. but I'm not sure if its helpful for that specific sound.
    sublab is cool bc you can easily loop your kicks of choice and make long 808s with every sample. (me i really like sublab as a sampler for all kind of stuff. also melos. its really cool and you can trhrow really long samples in there...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List