How to make these (moog?) sounds?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by AlmostNormal, May 19, 2019.

1. AlmostNormal

AlmostNormal Member

Hey everyone, I just want some help to remake the first sounds (bass and lead) in this song:

I don't have any hardware synths. And you don't need to upload a preset or anything if you don't want, an explanation would be enough
    Thx :mates:

3. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

This really is subtractive synth 101. You should have a mental connection with how a synth works and picture these two patches in your mind without any help. The bass is a saw with a lot of resonance, cutoff set to low and env amount set to about 50-60% to match the tone and a fairly fast decay time. The lead is a triangle wave, full sustain, long release and enough glide or portamento to match the track. Cutoff isn't as important with a triangle or a sine wave.

4. AlmostNormal

AlmostNormal Member

Hey thanks, I understand how a synth works, but I want to make it sound as close as the original. For the bass I know it's Saw based, but I don't think it's just a Single Saw voice, since it's stereo, and it has some phase movement. As for the Lead, are you sure it's just a triangle wave? For me it sounds more dirtier than a tringle, maybe a PWM, I don't know.

5. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

It's likely a Minimoog. I have one from 1974 and the triangle wave can be made dirty by feeding to output back in as an external source and overdriven. There might even be a bit of white noise in the lead.
    The bass may be any combination of two saws and a triangle as third osc. It is often added just for that fat roundness. But it's not a complex patch. Just a matter of getting the cutoff and resonances precise.
    Best software Minimoog is Synapse Legend.

6. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Try a chorus on the synth bass.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Preset #16 (old 70's lead) on the awesome Synapse Audio The Legend. Or at least as a starting point. Turn the 3rd oscillator up an octave (to 16') and it should be pretty damn close.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. recycle

recycle Guest

I've heard dozens of versions: Rose Royce always sounds better

9. AlmostNormal

AlmostNormal Member

Lol what, I think this "The Legend" is the most sexy soft-synth I've ever heard :shalom:. I'll definitely check it out.