How to make these guitar sounds?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Niruvana, May 21, 2019.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I respectfully disagree, but that's cool, reasonable people with different criteria.
    For me on-topic would be "is almost impossible" like someone already told.

I'm the first to do it :wink:

2. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Luvya back, double, Xup!

3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

If there was a vst that sounded exactly like the guitars in those videos, Carlos Santano would have asked El Chapo to kill the developer because guitarists would be out of job.

4. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I'll add some clarification for OP

Whammy bar techniques like dive bombs have so many variables.
    Does the player start the dive fast then gradually hit the target note, or start slow then speeds up. Is it a bomb to flappy strings.
    Harmonic to X
    Muted to X
    Rake to X
    Crazy wobble to X
    The list is endless

Then all the passing tones between per string/note. It would be a sampling nightmare. So you are left with stock ones that get repetitive as they pre-done.
    Most guitar players are useless with whammy bars and only a few like Vai, Satch, Carlos and Gillis have mastered it without it sounding like a dying cat.

So it's with respect people say a real guitarist is the only real option. Vsts have come a long way and for the most part are really impressive, but these techniques are sadly far from reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

If it's just rhythm guitar buried in the mix you can maybe get away with it, with a good sample library. Acoustic guitars are probably easier to fake cause they don't rely on pitch manipulation so much. But as a lead instrument samples will usually sound fake. I have tried getting realistic electric guitar sounds with VSTs for a long time until I decided to just get a real guitar. Honestly you can get much more out of a cheap Squier guitar and €50 Behringer audio interface than a sample library that costs way more and the learning process is fun, too. You don't even need to buy amp sims or cab IR loaders because there are some very good free ones out there.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

For me that's the key. Since the whammy bar physically modifies the guitar, sample based virtual guitars would need x10 number of samples to imitate the effect.
    Besides, when it comes to pitch shifting, a very roughly common criteria is +/-6 semitones fine, +/-12 only if you're prepared to die, and more: "shoot yourself!"!!!" lol

And I can't help but put this absolutely killer song with the start time ready to watch a cool whammy-involved solo.

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Maybe this emerging artist deserves an honourable mention too?

8. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

Thanks, guys. What about the guitar solo sample? Are there any of them out there?

9. tommykmusic

tommykmusic Noisemaker

Or you can hire me to play the guitar parts for you...

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Real guitar is good.
    Money for playing it is better.
    :yes:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Sounds like a great idea.That will save the OP some money on royalties and headache that comes with trying to obtain permission to use a particular sample.

12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Now that you mention it, rumor says IK Multimedia MODO Bass main creator is on the run while at the same time some sightings of Paco Jastorius ghost have been unofficially reported...

Since it's a big deal and I'm a hopeless altruist philanthropist I've done it for you:

[​IMG]
    You might think why I've stretched the height, losing the original apect ratio. That's when my genius comes...
    You can use it as a Kontakt wallpaper!!!
    I know, I know... hell yeah, I'm the man :disco:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Carlito's way my brother. Carlito's way.:trashing:To get back on topic, I really think theOP should ask one of the many guitar players here to drop a couple of licks.