How to make the following complex sound?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Free Agent, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Platinum Record

Hi Everyone

How to design the following amazing complex sound?

It starts to play at 03.00

How to design this sound and make such an arp/seq?

thanks in advance

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

It's not complex. The sync'ed delay (into lush reverb) probably makes it sound "complex". The lead is very sinewave-ish, which means it's pretty basic (even sound synthesis-wise).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Hi!

Hi! Guest

what he said

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2022
  5. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

It does sound digital. I'm assuming its only on the remix from White and Moor. Sounds like their typical sounds, check out WhiteRoom - "WhiteRoom" and "Someday", both have that kind of sound plinking away. Sounds very digital and Operator sounds like a good way to make it or any other FM synth or something with FM capability and a simple wave like a sine

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Free Agent

Thank you for sharing your opinion. Noted

7. Free Agent

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Whiteroom's this signature sound. I have been trying to design this sound and compose this variety of arpy melody.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'm not a big fan of this "vibe" music. happier, major chords and everything. cotton candy. but this tracks production are very good.
    I say this because someone with this level talent and skill could use anything, as far as tools; and then a lot of hard work automating things/fx etc.

Another trick for complex arp-sounding material is to actually use a filter and some other FX on some nice frequency rich chords. Try UVI Shade or Fabfilter Volcano, something like those.

The reason I suggest this is because you have much more freedom of automation with Audio FX, rather than doing the automations at the midi level. Way slower.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Rock Star

I dont see any complexity, like @clone says FX might be what makes it sound complex. Or if u meant how to make a arp/seq like tat, take a look into HY plugins sequencers they have a couple of them and they are easy to use too.
    https://hy-plugins.com/plugins/vst/vst-instrument/

If u are using ableton try Zyklus improvisor/Sequencer ( i am not using ableton anymore, so i am not updated on M4L stuff)
    Here this dudes vid. might help as an inspiration

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. clone

clone Audiosexual

when I think about arpeggiations, played arpeggiations by a live musician can be extremely difficult to learn and do. really easy for a computer. Most of the time, they are a simple duplication of the original chord progressions. And with trance, and sounds like this; I would expect a good possibility these are done on a virus. In which case, they are just layered bounces of the same chord progressions into different patches. and then further manipulated.

we give people too much credit sometimes. this posted song sounds really cool, like I said. but this is a simple process made overcomplicated by thinking someone is doing it manually. The "notes" are formed by multiple filters interacting together. You could percuss them with a gate, or anything. These are the most fun sounds you ever get to make, but they can also suck the energy right out of a song.

way easier than playing them or manually doing these. they are frequently just chords, Cthulhu or other arp MFX Midi utility plugin in front of a good synth.

11. ziked

ziked Producer

Not perfect but tried to remake that part: https://www.whyp.it/tracks/61309/echoy-sines?token=mRW8W (link only good for 24H)

Plays 3 times (First just sine melody, second mix of both (EQ'd out), then original song only)

Thoughts: From what I can hear the complexity is coming from two tempo-synced delay lines with significant feedback and a lowpass filter. One at 1/8D and 1/2 is what I found. It's hard to tell which notes are the original and which are the delay, but there might be some automation of levels/feedback. Or some notes are hard-coded as underpinning low-velocity notes.

There also appears to be some trance gate / chopping effect used at times, but its too subtle to say. Perhaps its the same effect being used on the vocals. In fact, the trance gate / choppy effect might only being applied to the reverb of the sine. That could be it.

The instrument is a simple sine wave slightly distorted or saturated, with low frequencies cut out.

Hope that helps.

12. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Rock Star

Esp.if u r using RapidComposer Arps and ostinatos are real easy, just by changing the 'Phrase Transpose' to Notes and moving the phrases up and down u can achieve a complicated pattern within secs.
    Sometimes i wonder if there were any 3rd party midi editors with that capability

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Free Agent

I really appreciate your comment. Noted every tips you provided.

14. Free Agent

Thank you for reminding me of these amazing tools.

15. Free Agent

You literally took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you again for tips. Noted

16. Free Agent

I don't know how to you enough, but it already helped. I mean, I've already achieved the similar sound by the following instructions : simple sine wave slightly distorted or saturated. Noted all of the techniques you shared.

17. Free Agent

@clone @ziked @Baxter @reziduchamp @justsomerandomdude

Hi guys. I would like to preface my comment by wishing you a great productive and happy year.

All of your valuable comments have really encouraged me, and finally achieved the similiar sound. Indeed, I didn't try to imitate the example up above, but just a new melody from the ground zero.

https://www.whyp.it/tracks/63099/test?token=OyzrV

Thank you so much for all of the tips.

@clone you were spot on by telling "but this is a simple process made overcomplicated by thinking someone is doing it manually."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  18. Uprock

Uprock Kapellmeister

Everybody over thinks with production! & even mastering! just keep it simple! Dont lose sleep at night thinkin of ya next big melody!