How to make that kick bass combo

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by TwistedCycles, Feb 7, 2014.

1. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

In a sample pack i've downloaded, i've got one loop of bass drum (bass + kick) that is really monstrous !

i would like to recreate it since pitching it to get different notes to play with is awful,

i've been trying to recreate it but i simply can't achieve this,

Help would be very very appreciated

See in my attachments to listen to it :wink:

Attached Files:

3. onhappin

onhappin Ultrasonic

It is a kick drum (not a carefully crafted one) sidechained to a square-ish synth bass. The kick bass sidechain technique is pretty simple, you'll find plenty of tutorials on the net. For better results you could use on your bass channel smth like volume shaper vstfx from cableguys or any volume modulation plugin in order to duck the levels when the kick starts. OR, you could simply automate the volume of the bass channel to duck and rise after the kick.
    To achieve similar results don't forget to saturate your kick drum, put a good amount of distortion on the bass, eq it and thoroughly compress everything.
    And if you have Massive, here's a video on how to achieve your goal. While you're at it watch similar videos and you'll soon master this to the point of boredom.

4. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Make sure that they are in Phase with one another :wink:

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Just layer a kick with a distorted, lowpassed and SC-compressed/ducked/transient designed bass.

Or fight the EDM kick trend and make your own cool/new/fresh sounding kick.

6. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

: )

i do it since i use to make psy trance but i'm working on a remix and would like to bring the EDM massive sound

thanks guys, i was already working with side chain but i can't get the great "dWOMP dWOmp" in time correctly so i will try with volume shaper instead of a side chain compressor.

But actually my problem is more about the sound of bass itself, i tried with Diva and sub boom bass i like a lot but i can't get the " same" bass. My only one analogue gear (cheap mini brute) seems to not be designed for this though i tried it ( very weak sound in bass )

i'm sure it's a mix of sin for the bottom and square or saw with a low pass filter not much opened but i can't achieve it : sometimes too low with a lack of attack ( like hip-hop subs ) or it's too gritty like electro classic bass

any synthesize advice ?
    and about the frequency range allowed to both kick and bass ? is the kick not so low to let the bottom end to the bass ? (because, even with side chaining, i think eq is very important)

Anyway, thanks for help

oh and do you know where the hiss we can hear bounce with the basse could come from ?

7. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

Oh yeah that's a good point to start with. However, it will be hard to play different note with it, unless i use the same "click" kick but create different "sin" wave for the bottom

8. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

Triangle waves to make that bottom ? because a little bit more harmonic than in a sin wave ?

Sh***, more than four years i try to make electronic music and still can't recognize the right waves to create or recreate sound i want..
    i feel ashamed, i'm probably a despaired case... : S

thanks for the link

9. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

i know you're right but nevertheless, i guess each different ways drive to different results and sometimes i want one result that is, if not perfect, the more accurate to my wish

10. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

In recent future music Headhunterz explained the entire process of making that kick. Apparently it takes two weeks. The chaain of routing required is ridicolous considering that is just a funny hard style distortion. I would be satisfied with 20db drive on my waldorf attack, which would take an second to do. But the pros in this style of music require two weeks. SO there you go

11. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

thats the one but I think it goes on further in part two which is not on youtube

12. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

Okay !! so i've got to work ! Really a shame that i can't the part 2. beginning seems really interesting

"Smart move" ? you don't like this guy ? : p

13. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

you can find it around if you look. not on youtube though. But anyways it wont teach you how to make it. Only show you how complicated it is

14. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

Just found it :thumbsup:

Why damn everything is so hard including making a decent kick and bass in any genre ? Life could be so simple .. one day i will come back to Greece and become shepherd

15. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

Yes i completely forgot Computer Music was not a free magazine, that's already pretty smart from them to tease that way, i agree, i misunderstood what you said above^^

And well, about the difficulty to compose great/decent music, (music that can be shared and please to others people i mean), after more than 4 years of trying to make my own music, not reproducing but being necessarily influenced, i really start to depress since i'm still making really "so so" stuff

I love music from black metal to jazz, reggae, french rap or a lot of different sort of electronic music, it's my passion for sure but i begin to think that not everybody is made to be a musician/composer (good one or creative one) and this is hard to accept.
    i was already bad guitarist when adolescent, and i'm a so bad composer that i wouldn't even give you my soundcloud adress

That's why i wanted to try to reproduce, to get an "established" sound, thinking it was easier and that's where the confusion with the "word" decent appears.

oh and f*** my english level, it's too hard to discuss deeper with it : S i lose myself

16. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

This track is simply a-w-e-s-o-m-e, so catchy, make me wanna smile quietly. (knowing smile)

Your visual interpretation of his track on his thread is really the feeling i get listening to it.

However though your kind words and the concept of universal vibe i agree with, perhaps some people are not able to catch it or it might depends a bit of the context of our lives too if i want to reassure myself in the idea i still have a chance to find the balance between technical & creative process to get that feeling.
    or may be each person has different color of vibe and i must accept i have the dark one instead of the "groovier"...refering to my musical work
    i'm not a bouncy guy you know... :) but there might be a difference between what we like and what we can do :dunno:

17. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

This is ridiculous. Makes me wonder about fabric of the universe. Could it be that because we visit the same website we come up independently with the same baseline. A couple of months ago I was working on a pretty commercial sounding edm track which had the same progression as the one above. The style was different but its essentially the same tune.
    And I dont really download any soundpacks that come up on respected websites, I don listen to other peoples music on forums, this has been an exception since you had nice words to say about it.
    So I have no idea how it could happen, where both of us got inspiration from. Does looking at the same website design incite certain melodies in one's head, I dont know....

18. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

sure, but if harmonic rhythm is the same too, its a slightly different matter

19. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

i never finished it, got bored with it. I wasnt happy with the drums so I decided to make them again from scratch and that proved a bit difficult. I found it hard to even make a kick that would fit other melodical elements. So I got borred with it. Maybe I should try to make a headhunterz kick and then drench everything else in reverb :). Anyways I can bounce melodic parts if you really wanna hear it. My girlfriend thought it sounded like a chris brown tune, which luckily wasnt the case. I even had to listen to it to make sure

20. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Ahh 2mb limit. My file was around 7mb

Ok, here it is. Just let me know when you re done so I can burn it.

https://soundcloud.com/questo_angel/komerc

I remember once when I was in high school I was trying to write a metal ballad, but then someone pointed out to me that it was Oci boje duge. This wasnt as bad of a fluke

21. olson

olson Member

just found that thread here - i am curious now 'bout your tune questo :P

skal