how to make "that" 70s snare reverb sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by pairozzo, May 26, 2021.

1. pairozzo

pairozzo Newbie

Hi everyone, i'm a guy very interested in NY 90s HipHop.
    For some time i've been on the search for a way of recreating that classic reverb sound that you can clearly hear in a lot of drum brakes from the 70s, that 90s HipHop producers would sample all the time.

A couple of examples:

How did they make that sound? Were they recording in a big room, were they using a reverb unit, or something like that?
    Thanks in advance.

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

as i have learned a few days ago, in the 70s they have used mainly echo chambers, spring reverbs or Plates to create reverb for audio signals and towards the end of the 70s, digital reverbs were introduced.

In the 90s they have sampled stuff from 70s, which was normal for HipHop, so you have only to look at the year of the track release, to maybe narrow down how it was bring to reverberate.

1. How works the echochamber? you play your recording in a room and recording the reverberated sound with a mic. It was 1931 invented in Abbey Roads.

2. Plate reverb you have a metal plate, where you put your signal through and the outgoing signal is the reverb created by the plate (very roughly speaking) - 1957 invented

3. Spring reverb: signal put through a metal spring and outgoing signal is sounding spoky, dark, compared to the plate. (in the 1930s invented)

It was possible to mix Spring reverb with Plate reverb easily to get an even more fuller sound.

here is a good video on this, it is long, but very good explained.

(Its just super mindblowing the first 3 traditional forms on how to create reverb the analog way.)

Conclusion:
    The first digital reverb came from EMT in 1976 - EMT250, later the lexicon in 1978 - Lexicon 224. Those are likely to be used towards the end of the 70s, they were still very expensive, but still cheaper compared to the plate or spring reverbs.

The first electronic (with reverb simulation based on microchips) reverb unit came in 1982 out, which could also do non linear reverbs, before they had only plate reverbs, echo chambers and spring reverbs.
    The concept of convolution reverbs was even later (couldnt find a year, but Audioease came with the principle in software form around 2001, 1999 by Sony a hardware realtime Convolution reverb - DRE-S777)

Maybe this helps a bit to find more details out.

Sources: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/a-history-of-reverb-in-music-production.html
    Wikipedia ofc

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Your first and second example have very different snares so I'm not sure what you mean by "that" sound. The first sounds like natural room sound, the second sounds like an EMT 140.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

BD and snare have a pretty long low level mono reverb, while the HH is way more dry. This makes me suspect that they used an FX and didn't record the reverb with the drums.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

this is another nice breakbeat in this little feat track