How to make sound like in Celldweller Jes - It's Too Late remix

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ia, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ia

ia Producer

Hello my friends! So long time I'm trying to remake this awesome sound, but it's very tough to me. I've tried a supersaws, octave detuning, manual match-eqing.. nothing works

Here the sound (This sound starts from 0:28):

It's from this track:

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. ia

ia Producer

Please guys!

4. Impressive

Impressive Guest

It wants me to register on VK.com. I shouldn't have to do that. Maybe try youtube instead.

5. ia

ia Producer

Done

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

If we are thinking about the same sound: There are two sounds layered, and two different notes playing.

1) One saturated and mid-boosted (pre dist) supersaw, with a very fast pitch envelope (going very fast from low up to destination note) making it "attacky". Alternatively it has a transient designer plugged in. It's playing a lower A.

2) A more bandpassed (the nasally 1kHz and somewhere around that area) and saturated supersaw-ish sound, with slower amplitude attack (ADSR). It also has pitch envelope (starting low and going up to destination note), but the pitch envelope attack is also slower so that it "climbs" slower in pitch. This in conjuction with the slower amp attack (to avoid the really low frequencies) makes it come in quite a bit after synth nr 1. This 2nd synth is playing the higher E note, making the two synths together playing an interval of 5th.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. ia

ia Producer

Thank you Baxter for your reply, but I still can't do even close. I've done everything right?
    Here .flp with wave candy's spectral analyser

Attached Files:

• Jes.zip
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I don't use/own FL Studio. I do however use many of the bread n' butter subtractive synths out there (Sylenth1, Spire, etc).

9. ia

ia Producer

ok, I will try to follow your instruction with Sylenth. But what Daw you're using?
    Are you using Serum?

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I'm mainly using Cubase. Serum too.
    I'll see if if I can make something similar in either Sylenth1 or Serum.

11. ia

ia Producer

Hello Baxter! For some reason it doesn't work and I don't know why.
    Here .crp (I'm using Cubase 5 (32-bit)) with Serum 1.101.

Attached Files:

12. ia

ia Producer

That's how spectrum looks
    What I see here:
    • some HPF and LPF (LPF has very steep cut or maybe something like that)
    • noisy hi-end (maybe this is supersaw or just layering with noise or some type of distortion)
    • not so noisy/detuned several harmonics of 2nd sound - 3 of them in the mid
    • unique pitch bend curve - I guess this curve is "S-Curve" in Pro Tools
    • Like you said here 2 notes indeed

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I correct myself. I actually think there are three layers (or more). Check this Cubase project out (3 instances of Serum and a minimum amount of stock plugins):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uevt7h2v0ncjnto/Jes7_baxter.cpr?dl=0
    Let me know if you are missing any wavetables (think I used all that comes stock).

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. ia

ia Producer

Awesome work Baxter!

Here comparison of Celldweller (Left) and your (Right) sounds:
    upload_2016-7-21_0-43-56.png

I guess Celldweller's sound (or one layer of them) hasn't been HPF'ed, because you can see that low-end pitch-env "Attack", si I guess pitch of this layer of original sound is higher.
    And some of your layers has very low pitch - sorry, I can't listen the sound in real-time from your .cpr (I don't know why) - and I've made mixdown/export to .mp3 to make this screenshot in FL.
    And I see some async in pitch-bends.
    Maybe the sound (low-end layer) start raising in pitch very fast and then fall very fast in the end to make it punchy/attack?
    Also you can see some kind of intensive amplitude/Attack in the start of mid frequencies - maybe wobble? (look how this amplitube is changing in time) - layer 1.
    Pitch bend of harmonics (this 3 harmonics in the mid) - layer 2.
    Low end distorted/detuned sub/growl/wobble - layer 3 (maybe this is layer 1).
    Noisy/supersaw-ish mids and hi-mids - layer 4.
    Hi-end is just layer 4 with very steep BPF with mix 50% or maybe this is some kind of parrallel exciting thing (to bring filtered hi-end air back in the mix)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

Attached Files:

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You are fogetting that his track has kicks, snares, hats, cymbals, more layers/instruments, mastering, etc etc. This is just the roughs. You can edit/filter them any way you like. There are frequencies there to take from (and to remove). Use subtractive mixing and filtering to your best abilities.

You are welcome!

16. ia

ia Producer

How to make this specific attack? I can't to make this punch by pitch-env from very low note to destination note - maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe this is wobble that rising up in the beginning and diving down in the end of sample?
    And why you've made pitch-bend async of layers?

17. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Try a transient designer on individual synths or the grouped bus insert...or just some amp decay and lower amp sustain.
    It's also layered with a kick, so that might actually trick you ears to believe that the synths have transient(s). Try to dissect the parts by ear, not by spectrum analyzer.

Async? I just A/B and tuned them by ear. Maybe for some organic and human feel. You can sync or async them any way you like. Just get on with it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  18. ia

ia Producer

For my ears it's sounds more like Snare. But how it can be? Celldweller in this video is soloing this synth sound (or maybe the bus of several layers). Also I see this is the "side" sounds of the mix, because there a some kind of reese sound in the "mid".
    Or maybe Celldweller sending snare drum and this "layered side" to another bus to process (reverb)/(mix the side) (summing the "side") simultaneously?

19. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Idk. I just hear a kicky thump in there.

20. ia

ia Producer

Hello Baxter! AFAIK, SSL AWS 900+ (this mixing console) has Expander-mode of compression - maybe this is the reason of this punch?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  21. Gwydion

Gwydion Kapellmeister

sorry but it sounds like an ordinary dubstep wobble bass. Go for N.I. Massive dubstep presets. You'll find a ton of similar sounds It's relatively easy to figure out how sounds are done in Massive in terms of reconstructing them. Sausage Fattener on top and you are done ;)