How to make instrument and sound like "The Cardigans - Carnival"?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by WIMA, Jan 31, 2020.

1. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

Hello friends... :shalom:

A few days ago I accidentally heard a song from one of the cafes ...
    Hearing that song brought many memories, especially my childhood ... :grooves:

As a musician, I would love to make music with nuances and sounds like the song "The Cardigans - Carnival" ...
    Even someday I want to cover the song ... :yes:

Because all this time I usually make music and songs of my own that have a modern feel ... I don't have a clue about how to make songs with this vintage sound ...

Maybe there are friends here who have more experience in making vintage songs like this ... I beg for your help ... :bow:

I only rely on VSTi, Kontakt, and the like to make instruments except Electric guitar instruments .... I can Borrow Bass from my friend if must too ... :knock:

Anyway....
    From what I hear, this song uses Drums, Bass, Guitar, Hammond, Rhodes, Strings, Claps, and of course Vocal sounds ... Correct if I'm wrong... :unsure:

First question ... By using VSTi or Kontakt, is there any suggestion what to use for each of these instruments?

So far, I will use :
    Drums = Addictive Drums with vintage setup
    Bass = Modo Bass maybe with Rickenbacker setup ... Or can I borrow the bass from my friend ... :rofl:
    Guitar = My Humbucker 6 String Electric Guitars with vintage setup amp simulator
    Hammond = Kontakt with Sound Dust HamMR Plus
    Rhodes = Addictive Keys with Mark One setup or something that classic
    Strings = Kontakt with EWQL Symphony Orchestra Platinum
    Claps = Batttery 4
    Vocals = Record using Samson C01
    The Second question is ... is the above setup close to the reference (The Cardigans - Carnival)?
    If not, are there any suggestions that are better and closer than my setup?

Then for the mixing process ... From what I have heard and read, I have to use Reverb with specific settings and Tape Emulation plugins such as Satin or VTM ...

The Third question is ... Are there special settings for Reverb and Tape Emulation for make that nuance?
    Or do all instruments/music need a specified Low Pass Filter to create a Damped impression?

Any advice is very meaningful to me ... I thank you in advance for your help and time ... :bow:
    Forgive my poor English ... :bow:

Regards....

:shalom:

3. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

for strings i would go with string machine
    and dont forget those tambourines (add slight fx /high cut EQ )

YOU CAN ALSO DO VOICE EXTRACTION/ : isolate the vocals and remove everything else (with izotope rx7 ''music rebalance option)
    then take the vocals to your daw and start adding your own instruments on the isolated vocals

i did the same trick reconstructing one of the classic 80s songs from C.C.CATCH ''if i feel love''
    and made 2 versions with her isolated vocals

and i might do one of duran duran classic songs soon ,covers can be cool if you added
    your own touch and give it a good lift up /feel good mood (and maybe extended version with surprise keys/melodic section
    to showcase your cover

let me know if cover is finished,im interested to hear your version

4. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

Noted...

Woww.. miss that... Noted :wink:

Interesting, the process you have mentioned was new to me...
    Other side, what if I want to make it all over again with a different arrangement but the nuance remains the same?

Can you share it for preview?

Agree ... Thank you for your advices ...

I will ... Someday I will post the result and mention you or I sending via PM ... :like: