How to make a rls portable

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gyro Gearloose, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

hello,
    have someone a link for tutorials or even a whole method quote or so....
    i mean like r4e does his portable no symlink..

peace

3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I would love to know... It seems obvious placing symlinks properly is the key, and I have done it myself for simple programs but have not tried for DAW stuff (except for Kontakt). I did not use their installer and I just looked at every Kontakt-related place I could find on my OS drive, and guessed from the folders included in the portable version. I deleted the files from from the portable folders so it would have to rely on the data on my system drive.)
    It seemed to work, but this was with 5.6.6 i think and on Win7.
    I would love tips on doing it the "proper way".
    I used Link Shell Extension, a great program for moving stuff and linking.

Now that I am thinking, PortApps and LiberKey include programs to create portable versions of programs ... not sure how those work, but I use both programs.
    I do not run them except to update the portable apps they include ...
    On my main computer I run most port apps not from the portable executable they provide, but from the actual app inside the subfolder. I do not care that it writes to registry or i lose my settings if I copy the folder and use it on another computer. I actually do that (copy my main Portable Apps folder to my other computer) after an update, but I let them write to registry (or wherever) on that other computer, too, so it has it's own settings. Yes sometimes a window will look different, but some programs write stuff specific to the computer (like Hardware Monitors, Folder Sync programs, etc) and I do not want that stored in the portable apps' own folder, but want it on the computer itself.
    On a reinstall i would lose the Portable App settings, no big deal.
    I DO have a "service" copy (a REAL portable) on external drive that I use only the actual portable app executables so nothing writes to the computer, and it takes all my settings with it.

I copied my Kontakt 6 Portable to a portable drive and ran that fine, too.
    I forgot about my "QuickLoad" folder though. So, I moved my Quickload folder to my Kontakt Daw Library folder and symlinked it.
    I could have Kontakt Portable on an external drive, but I do not have a fast large external.
    As it is I'd need a 3Tb, so it is definitely doable ... hmm i wonder how much an external 5T 7200 RPM is? [EDIT: OMG !!! CHEAP NOW!! ] I only have 5400 RPM externals (& some SSDs in external boxes, but they are small).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  4. Gyro Gearloose

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I haven't tried (yet), but it's harder than no install versions. You have to add a layer of emulation/virtualization.
    There's a couple apps for creating them . VMware ThinApp and another Turbowhatever studio.

6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I was about to make an attempt with Liberkey to make FL Studio portable.
    I have v20.1.1.795 in portable version so I thought I could compare results with that.
    Then I found an interesting site called "The House of Portable".
    Lot of available stuff made portable, and so I got FL Studio 20.6 to test.
    (AV check as well as functionality)
    Figured i would post here as this thread seems the most recent regarding portable stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Gyro Gearloose

thx a lotz

8. Gyro Gearloose

Code:
    Hello.
    Thank you for downloading this file!
    THOP admin here, the maker. I portabilize stuff.
    Yep I'm all alone. Not a big team huh?
    I do all the pc work, finding programs, portabilizing, troubleshooting (a lot...), uploading, posting, replying emails and comments.
    They usually take at least 1 hour to just portabilize one of them. Hard ones even 3-4 hours and maybe I just fail and nothing is posted.
    So please be patient if I don't make hundreds of portables each day.

Thank you for understanding!

9. frenchbench

frenchbench Kapellmeister

@Gyro Gearloose You can test Cameyo, it will make an exe file from your live installation which will work as a standalone afterwards. Furthermore you are able to edit the package in post (how it should run, encrypt with password etc.) It's not perfect but it should create working portables most of the time. Nice tool to tinker a little bit around with :yes:

https://cameyo.com/cameyo-offline/

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Gyro Gearloose

thx bo' ....nice holidays to you..
    and you double take,xupito..:hifive: