How to make a Portable Radio/Stereo effect?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Highdom, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Hi! I want to recreate the effect of a voice/music on a "portable radio", really used in cinematics music for movies, for instance.
    Basically, I think that is a hard bandpass eq curve but because I am really lazy...I was searching a plugin that can help me doing this.
    I would be really thankful if you could even post some video where it's well explained and how to recreate.

The effect I would recreate is this, or even more accentuated

Thanks!
    Hoping you can help me

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. segglyuk

segglyuk Kapellmeister

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

That's easy, it's called EQ. You can find it in any DAW. [​IMG]
    Just take a highcut (I guess 12 - 24dB slope) and automate a rising frequency.
    With a bandpass this will probably have a different effect, because you would also rise the "low band".

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Recoil

Recoil Guest

Radio Effect :rofl:

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Didn't Izotope Vinyl do this? Or I think there was a Nebula Vinyl Preset that did something similar as well. I googled it and found several different ways to do it. Was going for an old lofi sound for an intro to an old style country song we do.

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

This is just filter sweep. Try high- and lowpass (AKA bandpass).

But there are free convolution reverb VSTs and free speaker impulse responses if you want to get fancy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

No special "radio" fx on that tune.. just automate a low-pass filter (maybe there is a low-cut too)
    @No Avenger ..working out in a gym like that! you call that easy..!? what plug-in?
    ...ok sorry, did not read the whole thing :unsure: :rofl: that video is distracting! :snuffy:

BTW, some other "fancy" things to try.. if you have a DJ mixer, there is always a knob that will have this effect.. another toy to experiment, I guess.. (static, though)

10. No Avenger

[​IMG] that's for sure. :yes:

11. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

Yeah, that's just a filter sweep.

However if someone really wants something to sound like a cheap small radio in a room, re-amp it.

Obviously the best way is to use a real cheap radio that has an input, but you can use practically any speakers. EQ it, maybe add some distortion, run it through your speakers and record it with for example your phone. It will sound more authentic than any plugin.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. No Avenger

If you insert a plugin that emulates a megaphone, grammophone or a radio, you will , of course, have to automate the dry-wet mix to achieve a sweep like that.

13. John Smith

John Smith Noisemaker

Belfast, Co. Antrim,Northern Ireland, BT1 6DE
    Well your video is awesome :wink:
    Use Ableton Live where you can create your own plugins.

14. On the same wavelength...http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1987 ...has eight sample slots and a dial to switch between them just like the stations of a radio. My disclaimer: I never used it.

Or, Old Radio makes you sound like you recorded your voice with a Neumann U47 going through a vintage Neve 1073...just kidding! Got you, didn't I? http://www.vstplanet.com/News/11/Old_radio_and_Vinyl_1950.htm ..I never used this either.

What I have done though is, I went to a radio station and was interviewed by a friend of mine, fitting in during the show and saying what I wanted to use for my track. Before I left I set up my oldest microphone, a 1954 Sennheisser MD21 in front of an ancient Japanese portable pocket AM radio I had bought at a flea market. I then set the dial to the station I would be visiting later in the afternoon. The signal was captured on a portable cassette recorder I've had since I was 13 that I recovered from a musty old box in my parents basement, and I even used the cassette that had been in there since 1972! I set an electrical timer to turn on the recorder for when I would do the interview.

No, I didn't do that either...bit I do have a Sennheisser MD21! I've used it for vocals, harmonica and electric guitar through an amp for that old time sound. People even use it for drum overheads. You will need a small teuchel to xlr converter if you buy one that hasn't been modded.

I do love going off on weird tangents, so thank you for the opportunity.
    [​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. sevente

sevente Kapellmeister

If you're looking for something outside of the box, what about something like this?
    [​IMG]

16. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

In the time you typed this you could already have done it manually. Literally.
    Please quit producing immediately.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

If I needed it, I would buy a cheap little FM radio transmitter, set up a mic in front of some of my radios and record whatever I need. Simple. [not] :) But the results are absolutely faithful and worth it IMO. :wink:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Use your phone.
    transfer the audio file to the phone and mic it with another phone

put it inside different objects like that Pipe Bomb to get different sounds.
    inside an acoustic guitar,
    piano with sustain pedal down

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

20. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Like someone else said, Speakerphone is ur best bet. Also gives lovely emu of various cell / radio / whatev interference. Bit expensive for just single use, tho =( But if ya got some kinda IR browser thingy (can be free or just use Altiverb or bundled) they can give ya options to use various pieces of "gear" (like small radios etcs) as an IR. Or just find one on teh web? Maybe couple that w/ filtersweep to get the effect ya want?

21. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Of course, equing is the best way to do this, but I was curious!
    Thanks to ll, I've found Two plugin you recommend me nice and useful