How to lock clips so they cannot be moved?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by filtersweep, Feb 21, 2019.

1. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

So, I have clips in the playlist. sometimes when i am trying to scroll i keep hitting shift key which moves the clip in tiny little increments, so that you have to do a tonne of undos and that doesn't always work ( the undo in FL still has some issues imo).. All that's needed is a way to lock clips so they cannot be moved..
    is this doable, i can't find a solution yet. it's one of the most irritating functions in FL... grrr..bah
    thx

3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@filtersweep I agree 100% with you. This DAW needs an option that locks, not only clips but everything in the playlist. Image Line already implemented that stupid "lock" which is only good for the size and nothing else so I don't think it would be that difficult for them to implement a lock all function. This feature has been requested for years but they don't care.

4. Calm.Down

Calm.Down Banned

5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

6. Calm.Down

Calm.Down Banned

Try this. I don't know but maybe it works.

7. Calm.Down

Calm.Down Banned

They do but do it little by little. You know why?

8. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Enlighten me:dunno:

9. Calm.Down

Calm.Down Banned

They must keep the demands forever. If they supply the customers with everything they need together at the same time, the update's philosophy will be meaningless and the new users' referral to Image-line and their longing and incentive for getting the latest releases will decrease and they won't be able to find new customers and the sale will lower and the company will be scaled down and you guess the next ...

10. filtersweep

i'm not sure what this is all about?
    nothing to do with the OP is it?
    not that i can see.
    it seems this is how it is in fl for now... just have to try and hitting the shift key which, for me anyway, being a shortcut hound, difficult..
    maybe in v 21...

11. filtersweep

just a few thoughts re: this issue and some other bits:

"lock to content" in the playlist is a misnomer or at least it is misinterpreted ( to me). it does not lock anything, except if the track is locked when you hover over that track with the brush or pen, you can automatically draw in the clip without having to drag and drop from the picker or whatever. that can be useful but its not something i really use ( i rarely use the pattern brush)..
    i've tried all sorts to get clips to lock. nothing doing.
    as has been pointed out in previous posts, this function of the shift key (to nudge things in small increments) also can play havoc with the mixer tracks. it can be a real ball-ache.
    and , as FL's undo STILL is not working as it should, going back through history sometimes has no effect. i end up with clips moved around even on top of other clips and chaos like this makes the head very tired very quickly.
    anyway, it affects workflow and that's why it is an issue with me.
    there are some aspects to FL that have gone unaddressed for a long time, ( midi learn for example is not possible. for some reason fl lacks totally in respect to other daws where it's an expected feature).
    so, there are probably reasons for that stuff, programming would need a radical makeover, and cannot be bothered at this stage in the game.
    i wish it would, i would use fl for everything was sorted in these regards.
    one other thing i would like is the ability to create copies of clips automatically instead of 'Make unique'... but i digress.

EDIT: I should also point out, this thing with the shift key moving stuff. it also works in two slightly different ways. one, outside the clip moves the clip. over the clip moves the content only.
    so lots of potential for chaos there.

12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Your explanation makes no sense. First, Image Line gives you free updates for life. Secondly, the only way to increase your customer base is by keeping current customers 100% happy. That is done by listening to the customers and implementing what they want. That in turn, brings in new customers. Potential customers read reviews. Bad reviews from unhappy customers doe not help ANY business. I dont want to disrespect the OP. We are going off topic here. Let us get back on track.

13. Calm.Down

Calm.Down Banned

You can use one of those methods or tools for re-assigning the hot-keys or shortcut-keys to sth else. For example for disabling Shift+Arrow keys.
    A lengthy comment but the only one about undo ing that I don't know whether you're aware of it or not is hitting Ctrl+Alt+Z instead of Ctrl+Z.

14. Calm.Down

Calm.Down Banned

Market mechanism is not unique but as you said let's leave it to another thread.:wink:

15. filtersweep

i am aware of the shortcuts.
    i'm not going to describe how imperfect the undo is in FL.
    it does not work as expected in certain situations. it's better than it used to be, but still problematic.
    if you accidentally shift and move a clip sometimes that can be in many small increments each one of which is listed in history and that's a pain. you cannot undo renaming or any of that. a pain..