How to Load ripped gba music correctly in DAW?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by korehanandesyou, Jan 20, 2022.

1. korehanandesyou

korehanandesyou Noisemaker

Edit:
    problem solved. Here is how I do:
    first you convert the .SF2 soundfont to a .dls Mobile Full soundfont with an Awave Studio (would love to know if there is other freeware for this task), then in FL studio you go file - import - midi file... (not drag and drop here is the key) and it will load each channel with correct midi program number.
    Then, import the .mid file you ripped, then in Channel type choose "MIDI Out with Fruity LSD", then open the .dls you just converted inside Fruity LSD and there you go.

--------Original Post---------

So I've been trying to learn from old game music, and just ripped some musics from old gba roms with gba_mus_rip, and I've already got the .mid files and .sf2 files.

And it can be played correctly with Foobar 2000 and MIDI Player 20.4.2 (Took me some time here, because the latest version doesn't support the BASSMIDI anymore). By work correctly I mean it uses the right instrument and sounds the same like in real game.

So far everything is good, but then I can't get it load correctly in my DAW. The DAW I use is FL studio 20. And I tried like a dozen of plugins but none of them worked correctly.

The plugins I tried like DSK SF2, cakewalk sfz, FL Soundfont player(can't even load the .sf2 file up) kontakt 5, sforzando(alerts me that ARIA cannot find certain sound while dropped the .sf2 file),and a lot of free vsts from plugins4free labeled sf2 player, and the Falcosoft bassmidi. Most of them seems can't even recognize multiple midi channel.

Please help!

I'll post some files I ripped here in case anyone wants to test them out
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VEl6S4elgrWXHzkd0FCJpmzq5Qlk8n4_?usp=sharing
    (if the link died, you can rip it yourself, it's the song009.mid from Summon night: Swordcraft story 2)

and you can find a reference track here:

By the way you can tell from this track that the actual track has some percussion and hats, but if you load it up as generic midi without the .sf2 it will become something else.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Look in your mailbox!

[​IMG]

Cryologic Synth (Sample Based) Plugin by MaxSynths

Cryologic is a soundfont library and a soundfont player very simple and easy to use. The SF-Oscillators allows to layer up to three different sounds with separate controls for level, pan, and octave shift for each osc. The filter is a classic state variable filter tweakable also via the X-Y controller.

The two arpeggiators are a powerful feature which allows to create interesting patches, complex automatic bass lines, chord accompaniment and complex textures. The onboard reverb, delay and an internal ring modulator effect provides the final touch to this little yet powerful music production tool. A soundfont library of 456MB is included.

4. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

You could try some of the Yamaha S-YXG vst,
    or perhaps something like Edirol Hyper Canvas, or Roland Canvas VA..

Assuming those files are well ripped, Formatted, and they properly adhere to the MIDI standards..
    They should contain all necessary data and cc calls to properly configure the vst instruments on a single track..

Some DAWS like Reaper will ask you tho:
    do you want it in One single track?
    Or do you want to Seaparate all the contained midi channels into their own track?

If you want to use a single midi track,
    I'd say that little Yamaha S-YXG vst will work perfectly.

For separate tracks, I'd go with Edirol or Roland Canvas,
    each MIDI file and Daw will be different tho, so ymmv :wink:

5. korehanandesyou

korehanandesyou Noisemaker

Thanks for both of your reply, I've tried but I got no luck :( it's custom soundfonts so S-YXG or Edirol is not working.
    But after several hours of research, I just found a solution though, I'll write it here and update to the main thread later:

first you convert the .SF2 soundfont to a .dls soundfont with an Awave Studio, then in FL studio you go file - import - midi file... and import the .mid file you ripped, then in Channel type choose "MIDI Out with Fruity LSD", then open the .dls you just converted inside Fruity LSD and there you go.

So I guess the main problem is to load correct instrument program on each channel along with the soundfont player, which Fruity LSD recognize this smoothly.
    So far it works for me, but I don't know if there is other way so it could work with other DAWs.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022