How to improve this mix - Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by MarkyMW, Apr 17, 2021.

1. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Hello again,

OK so I bit the bullet and here's my first ever attempt at mixing music with 808's and drum loops. Let me know your thoughts on the mix and any ways to improve it.

3. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Couldn't take a critical listen yet (listening on my Sony Wh-1000xm3, but depthwise I like the contrast the clap far in de background creates with rest.

The bass seems a bit undefined, maybe it could use a cut at 300 and maybe a boost around 500-700 ish? Just guessing...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

yeh, thanks for that, I had a hell of a time mixing this, and spent some time on the clap (learnt a lot), I'll take a look at the bass again with your suggestions

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

- narrow the stereo width of the high mids and highs
    - less reverb on everything
    - add 6kHz bell boost
    - add saturation

6. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

I've taken a look at the bass guitar and cut at 66 and 819 boosted around 269, I had the boost there but the cuts were too tame, and yes this has done the job!

The project is in three seperate project tabs (because it was seazing up so after trying everything else I couldnt think of any other way to save on CPU) so I'll give all the suggestions a try and run through all the renders in one go...

Thanks again :thanks:

7. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Spot on, I droped one of the high mids and highs widenings and I'm trying to dial in the softube saturation knob. Its sounding better, the 6kHz bell boost you can hear was added one night to push the clap back in the mix - you've got those ears trained! I'm jealous!:bow::cheers:

As for the reverb I got carried away its on a lot of tracks and most of them I froze and edited and now I'm stuck with it. My ears arent as great as yours and I can live with the reverb - but yes I was wondering, so I know for next time... I need to chant while mixing - I MUST STOP RELYING ON REVERB to create atmosphere.

Once the alterations are finished I'll upload and update the link :thanks:

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Why? Reducing reverb in an audio file isn't really a problem. If you don't have any tools for this, send me the wav.

9. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

WOW thats kind, I will send you the wav - let me finish off and render and then - click on your avatar and "start a conversation?"