How to improve the melody...

Discussion in 'Education' started by jack, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jack

jack Newbie

Hello,

may first a little information about my person.

Love music, never get teached to play an instrument, bought a couple of years ago a midikeyboard so getting away from drawing (midi) notes.. i plunked on it.. then came the time where i thought it would be could to know what you are doing. So i read some books about music. One leasson i may learned most it's the harmony theory and stuff like that. Also i started to play more. And for some month i had lent an e-piano (makes much more fun to play with then with that midikeyboard) and since about 1 year i bought it. I start playing with a (for me) diffcult song BWV 1007 (love this song). Also played to much and my hands get hurted but i think it is all ok now. Also i started to play some songs which are allready in my mind (thought that it is a good idea as you can compare it with what is saved in your head).

So the next thing was using the new knowledge. Tried out that different minor modes, chord progression and so on. I would say if you learned that harmony stuff and use it you can't make much wrong. Some weeks ago i read atricle about producing music, with different starts. 1.) Harmonies - they wrote that in this case it's hard(er) to develope a good melody 2.) Melody 3.) Text > Melody

Looking to this different starting points, i see i used method one for 98% of my last projects. If i built about a melody over a chord progression my melodies (if there are some) are only moving around the chord notes. Those melodies tend to sound like child melodies. :sad:

What are your recommendations to imrpove my melodies?

Greets,
    Jack

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Tip - improvisation. Vocal or on instrument.

Words can be clothed on melodies. Words/poems/sentences have melody in them. Language is melody, phrasing and rhythm. Rhytmic rudaments can even evoke melodies. All melodies have harmonies (it's just up to you to find them).
    In short - there are no rules.

4. manducator

manducator Member

Maybe this free course can give you some inspiration:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5220863/Ravenspiral-Guide-to-Music-Theory

5. MARJU GRLYO

MARJU GRLYO Noisemaker

I learnt a lot by listening what others do ! I mean the artists I like. (That's pretty logical isn't it ?)

You can learn A LOT of new forms, techniques, structures etc... On that track there's some chords + a melody on it, or on another track you may find a more progressive form with only riffs and not chords etc...

This is the most stupid but yet the most important answer I can give ! :wink:

(I read again, maybe I'm kinda out of the subject *yes* )

Ok, you're into classical music ? Good luck buddy, I can't say anything about this (But listening to others is kinda universal ! Did you try to use the same scales that are in your favorite songs ?) :bow:

6. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I think you are trying to ask, how can I make my melodies so they sound like they have a little "soul". That is where an understanding of the blues comes in handy. If you have a melody that is close to what you want, but it sounds kind of sing songy or child like, the blues give you some ideas and tools to know which notes to change or bend to give you more of a sense of tension and release, which is how music manipulates emotions, and when to use them, even if you are not playing a strictly blues song. And a melody composed on keys doesn't always translate exactly to what singers do. A singer might give one syllable multiple notes or one note to multiple syllables.

7. genemesis

genemesis Newbie

Algae, it's simple... MORE COWBELL!

Well, It's a big matter of time, like everything. The taste you have today, is at a certain level, and the same problem for your imagination.
    Like you, I want to create beautiful melodies, great harmonies, beautifully orchestrated... But I never been completely satisfied.This frustration is the sign you want to progress, so my simple advice:
    -be curious, even if you think this music or this one sucks, just try, and maybe judge after.
    -experiment with your instruments, or why not, instruments you don't know yet, if you can put your fingers on it.
    -like a student, do exercises: what makes blues the way it is? what is a rock song? how do they do this?
    The more you'll want to understand the other's work, the more you'll have new possibilities in yours.

(It could sound a very "new-agish" philosophy, which I puked on, but I really think music needs to stay fun, and not in a depressing pain...)

Hey but I said, more or less, the same thing that other members!
    So do it! Damn'!

8. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

9. Yubidi

Yubidi Newbie

manducator said it all...
    Try some passing notes too ( some chromatic, some not ).

10. jack

jack Newbie

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Yes I should read (especially in the musical context) and sing more. And even try to write music (with vocals).

I'll check that out.

Not sure if i would call it logical but sure this one of the first things.. which i also do (as you can see in my first post). And this would be one of my answers too so i would not call it stupid. I would say it's one way of understanding music. Oh and right now i can't play all the scales.

Haha, sorry no don't want to try write classical music, yet. But i like to listen and try to playing it. The small lessons i learned showed me with BWV 1007 you could make 2 or 3 pop songs out of it.

In blues mostly you use the evil note and often don't use second and sixth note of the scale, right!? - this is theoretical part. And i agree the other part is adding soul. I'm on it. It's not the note or the melody it is the expression - i should make that more often to mind. Good Artist can make an "easy" melodie sound great.

Rob D is cool. :bow:

- will give it a try
    - have played with guitar (which have been here for some weeks) but i would prefer a hangdrum or something like that even if like the sound of guitar the possibilties you have to play that instrument and how easy two chords could be played and sound great.
    - i do and i will do (may more - but i think it is also time to bring my playing skills to another level)

I would say that too.

You really meant manducator?
    Yes i should (try to) use them..

Greets,
    Jack

11. Yubidi

Yubidi Newbie

Sorry Jack,
    I meant his link, really fantastic !
    I know it's quite a read, but very funny written.
    The more you know, the more options you have.
    But maybe just record whatever comes up in your mind, and then figure out what you've done and go from there...

Cheers !

12. manducator

manducator Member

And maybe this helps too:

13. jack

jack Newbie

Thanks for your feedback.

Got it now. Thanks.
    Readed two chapters - yes it's not dry written and picked up already two ideas.
    Yes - but i think i'll (try to) play more (serious) and often. But sure listen to other works and read (about) music.
    Few days ago it was the first time i really played to a song (via youtube in first attempt).
    It was/is a nice impression - even if i still have some problems* with correct sync for example.

I'm sure it will. Thanks.

*I think one of my further lessons should be learning about rhythmic.

May you like to listen ..

Greets,
    Jack

14. Yubidi

Yubidi Newbie

Bach !!
    Way to go and so much to learn from !!

I'm not a classical musician, but have this enormous respect !
    The rules he lived by changed beyond repair; we can use parrallel 5ths now (power chords) etc...etc..

Why not try to make up your 'own' scale ( use the passing notes as a member of the family, (scholars will whip me ! )).
    Take any notes from that scale to make a chord, and moving them accordingly ( for starters..).
    And glue things together with chromatic notes...
    This is what Holdsworth does.

Sounds scary..., but if you'll do this in a "House/Lounge" setting..., or anything, really..
    You'd might just've come up with something, you don't have to be afraid of saying, "Hey !, this is me !!".

Holdsworth Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rLYsuDEjg&feature=relmfu

15. Dickbrain

Dickbrain Newbie

i think learning counter point and definitely point you in the right direction for making melodies and different toplines *yes*

16. mytia13

mytia13 Newbie

http://garyewer.wordpress.com/

I've read this guys blog a fair amount and found it pretty helpful for songwriting in general but he also talks about melody quite a bit and analyses current hit pop songs and why they "work". Besides regular improvisation, I think the biggest thing u can do is to analyse your favorite songs/melodys and break them into their core components; pitch, rhythm, and volume/timbre. look at how those change over time in the song and start by trying to imitate that.