How to get this vocal / depth effect in the mix?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MusikWannabe, Oct 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. MusikWannabe

MusikWannabe Newbie

Hey guys! How do you get this vocal effect / depth in the mix? I love this guy`s mixes, the way it feels just makes you connected to the music. I know it`s a short reverb, but I tried to do a similar thing with Valhalla Vintage Verb and didn`t get quite the same result... The one plugin that got me the closest to this was Overloud Gem Voice, but let`s say it doesn`t get out of demo mode, if you guys know what I mean... So it`s quite not an option right now

Here are some examples?

3. executioner

executioner Guest

Why can't you get it with Vintage Verb? I think you're not utilizing the pre-delay. Try going a setting between 60-100ms or until you feel a slight separation from the dry vocal so it hugs the vocal without drowning it or being drowned out. A lot of people overlook this.

Also, try the plate setting on Vintage

4. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

The backing vocals have stronger reverb, which pronounces the effect. For the main vocals I agree with executioner: try adding some predelay. Also the highs are damped and low cut on the reverb is engage. You can also try ducking the reverb if you use the reverb as send (FX bus): put a compressor post the reverb with sidechain input from the vocals to duck the reverb relative to the level of the vocals. Just a few dbs, fast attack and auto-release should do the job. That way the reverb decay will not clash with the vocals, but stay in the back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. AKAIBOY

AKAIBOY Member

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. badboy4life

badboy4life Ultrasonic

Sounds like 2 reverbs combined - room and plate. Both probably from Slate's Verbsuite Classics. Pretty basic stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. MusikWannabe

MusikWannabe Newbie

Thank you guys for the replies!!! I'm gonna try to add more pre delay on the small room and try a plate reverb on the vocals. It sounds like the 480L for me