How to get this sound? (Lunde Bros - Can You Feel It)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by toni_aguirre, Dec 29, 2014.

1. toni_aguirre

toni_aguirre Newbie

I want to get this bass sound. Sounds like a saw with a LPF and some distortion, but I'm not able to get it. At 1:00 it transforms a little bit, no idea how to achieve this change. Merry Christmas! [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lWwnNbM5NM[/media]. This is the simple MIDI btw.

3. Index

Index Producer

Experimented some minutes and it may not sound exactly the same but that is probably because of the synth/effects I used (but should work as a help/starting point) ;)
    short sample [media]https://soundcloud.com/justmetestingstuff/lunde-bros-sound-test/s-KcVKe[/media] (for the part of the song before 1min)

Saw, LPF and distortion are a good start. I used a saw and a triangle wave (and added some PWM to the saw, but that's not really necessary). The important parts are the volume envelope, the LPF envelope as well as the effects. To get the plucky sound I gave both envelopes a short attack (~0.5-3ms) and short decay (~200-300ms) ( http://i.imgur.com/YB7b0lN.png ) and let the LPF env control the cutoff to go from ~20kHz to ~1kHz (with a steep slope like 18dB/oct).

Then I added distortion, a flanger and a phaser while the flanger and phaser rate are set to zero so there is no LFO automation going on. Then a 6dB/oct LP at about 2kHz to get rid of heights created by the effects. Then some reverb with a HPF. (The reverb sounds like a small room with a longer reverb time and might even be a ducking reverb, but not that sure)
    The first 60 seconds are automated with a HPF that slowly opens and at about 1min in the song the reverb gets muted and several flanger/phaser/filter parameters are changed, which can be a bit tricky to recreate.

I think the key to get the exact same sound would be using the same effects, but that's probably impossible. I used the xfer Serum synth (and some other EQ/reverb) but due to the fact that the song was already released in 2012 I doubt that Lune Bros used serum :rofl:
    Playing around with the phaser/flanger values might get you a lot closer to the original and adding some EQ at the end to shape the sound might do the trick, but just conjectures *yes*

4. Anonymous363

Anonymous363 Noisemaker

I would layer a sine wave with massive math o modern talking and tweak it a little bit

5. mono

mono Audiosexual

it sounds like he used a guitar amp plugin effect on the mixer try Guitar Rig 5 Pro by Native Instruments
    it has lots of presets so you could be a while trying to find the right effect
    or he could of even made his own preset with it or some thing like it what you will never remake,
    but the good part is you will find your own sounds on the way,

ps Juicy M is hot :wow: