how to get this rhodes sound?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by jaipaul, Sep 27, 2015.

1. jaipaul

jaipaul Noisemaker

hey guys

i hope i have the correct name for the sound here

just the keyboard sound she has. the closest ive come to the sound is via a rhodes preset on massive and adding a little low end and delay/autopan to mimick vibrato. which sounds okay but not really close to the one in the video

if someone could pelase tell me what it is and how you'd achieve tyhis sound please let me know!

thank you

3. Index

Index Producer

Well yeah there is your problem. You need a more natural rhodes sound so basically some sampled stuff. For example Scarbee Mark One (Kontakt) or some Omnisphere Patch (but getting Omnisphere just for the rodes sound is a bit overkill).

4. jaipaul

jaipaul Noisemaker

thanks for your reply mate. ive been quite impressed with massive i wouldve assumed it could replicate the sound quite genuinely. i do have omnisphere installed (not 2) ill have another squiz there. any particular preset you could point me towards or just search up 'rhodes'?

thank you again mate

5. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

You need Gospel Musicians rhodes libraries for Kontakt. They are REALLY really good and ultra realistic.
    I found sometimes they sound too acoustic, if that makes any sense. So I often use MR Ray by GSi, which is only a few megabytes. Still, very very good tone and it's easy to make it sound in many different ways with plugins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

sounds like a slow LFO pan on the rhodes, theres sub reinforcement using either a sub or low fundamental harmonic key reinforcement. Its also slightly sidechained with the kick. The keys are also all slighty offset in a stairlike fashion from the fundamental key in the midi to give it a stoke type sound. Delay and reverb will perform the lengthy effects as other people mentioned. Also people have already mentioned the best kontakt libs for rhodes so hunt for them :P

7. lonedome

lonedome Noisemaker

lounge lizard EP-4

8. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

It's simply the processed sound of the Rhodes. Any good Rhodes sample library should do as a starting point + The Vintage Keyboard FX suite by Overloud. Simply activate the preamp section, remove the treble, boost the bass and activate the tremolo (square wave, stereo panning style). Don't forget Saturation (that goes without saying). VoilĂ ! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. ANdr3s

ANdr3s Member

Best Answer
  10. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

That is pretty much a standard stereo Rhodes. They had stereo outputs with this built in auto pan. No distortion. (A real Rhodes changes tone and distorts when you start bearing down on it, so do most modeled versions.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  11. dondada

dondada Rock Star

if you are unimpressed with rhodes sound try a wurli emu in lounge lizard
    and play with the bell settings while experimenting with the dynamics of your playing ;)

but at the end it sounds like a rhodes stage mark 2 "softly played"
    slightly amped and a slightly damp reverb
    like iluvhiphop said
    gospel musicians rhodes is very good!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  12. jaipaul

jaipaul Noisemaker

thank you man! is gospel musician rhodes part of the neo soul suitcase by gospel musicians?

also a massive thank you to everyone for their helpful input. i will endeavour to give back to this community any way i can. much love.

13. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Yeah, just ditch massive for a rhodes sound.
    Lounge lizard ep-4, as said before, is the best vsti you can get for rhodes sounds.

14. karamuzas

karamuzas Ultrasonic

Scarbee library is the one.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  15. dondada

dondada Rock Star

Totaly forgot about Scarbee
    you have a wider range of sound manupilation with lounge lizzard
    But Scarbee killed it in authenticity (if you are a good player, wich i never was heheh )

jup thats the one, love it!

16. relexted

relexted Producer

how about some rhodes plugin playing soft velocity? ...

17. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i like this girl she is really talented gospel musicians neo soul keys neo soul suitcase has Nice Rhodes

18. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

By no means sir. It's a great inspirational vsti, and it will make many different keyboard sounds that resembles a Rhodes - but not very closely. Even the old GSi is more convincing, it just doesn't offer as many options.

@OP

If your internet connection is alright, you should spent the extra time and get the Gospel Musicians kontakt library. If you want your rhodes to sound anything like that girl, you shouldn't do modeling vst's.

19. jaipaul

jaipaul Noisemaker

hey guys ive followedy our advice and got my hands on the gos[pel musicians library and love it. velocity make ssuch a difference with this sort of sampled rhodes. i just have one noob question- is there anyway to increase the release on kontakt so that the notes ring out as opposed to having to have them held down? in the video it seems the singer seems to 'stab' the notes and they ring out.. though i guess a traditional one doesnt work that way?

ive found it in the modulation section. though the note cuts out abruptly after the release time's exhausted!

NVM i clicked "edit all groups" then adjusted the release. thank you again my friends.

also, heres the current setup i have for a quite nice rhodes sound (using ableton) in case anyone was curious. always experimenting of course

[Velocity polugin- capped at 70 (to avoid the distorted tones)]
    [kontakt 5- neo soul - soft rnb plugin under the neo soul pack with release set to 4k ms)]
    [psp vintage warmer 2]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  20. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

You're making it complicated :) Very much like a real piano, a real rhodes has pedals. When held down, tones "ring out". This functionality is adopted in the library. So you can simply bind any midi controller to cc 04 or cc 64 or whatever it is.
    Another thing you can do is to use a dynamics plugin to gradually increase the volume of the sound as it sustains :)