How to get these type of Distorted "Cinematic" type Kicks.

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Mythos91, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Mythos91

Mythos91 Ultrasonic

Does anyone know any libraries or tips for getting Massive Distorted Kicks like this? Reminds me of the Doom Soundtrack.

3. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Most, if not all, of the Keepforest Devastator libraries have what you want.

4. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

Push pull technique with a distortion / saturator. Find a kick with a decent body, not one with a super short decay. Put an Eq, followed by a saturator / distortion of your choice (experiment!) Push the lows using the eq into the saturator, push the mids, experiment here. Drive the shit out of the distortion. Put another eq after the distortion to bring back the crushed lows / mids and shape your sound further. Layer with a very short decay kick (attack only basically) and maybe even a stomp sample for more body / depth. Compress all three together using some glue type compressor, just a couple db to put them all in the same space. Eq to shape tonally.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

also, good to see Evian Christ putting some new stuff out. i havent heard his name in a while. I saw him years ago, and it was a wild show. heavy shit.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

This is more like synths and noise layered with "regular" kicks. Try that, if you want to create and design your personal custom sounds.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. coralmay

coralmay Member

This is a good start, overall layering a synth though can work too, with lots of distortion, if you want to copy that sort of DOOM style kicks that mick gordon did though or any of his sounds, you need some sort of extreme upwards compression, Argent Compressor is really good at this, Ableton's multiband comp might let you get this sort of compression too. The thing is to keep distorting and pushing towards your desired sound.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

you can do all that processing whatever way you need. but if you want to start out with a plugin as source instead of a sample, try D16 Group's Punchbox. You can control so many parameters of the original sound because it's a very capable drum synth. You can add all your additional effects but go back to your original sound and change anything you need to. All their plugins have grown on me lately. You can midi learn and automate basically all parameters.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024