How to get the low mids to sound so nice/powerful. Included examples + own recreation

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by iamsomeone, Jun 4, 2018.

1. iamsomeone

iamsomeone Member

I've been following the rise of g-house, and I really like how their basses sound in comparison to traditional EDM. What I'm really struggling with is understanding how they get their basses to sound so full (tchami/malaa), yet dark at the same time. I don't really know how to describe what I mean (it seems the low mids are boosted, but just boosting them and saturating with an eq doesn't do it for me). I will post an example:

The Original (I copied at exact spot where the bass starts):

This is my own quick remake: https://clyp.it/m5cvmcvx#

It just always seems like there is a lack of low mids... I'm not really sure how to get the sound more like that without making it muddy. I'm sure that its probably very good layering or maybe even mastering?... would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction :(

Check out this track for example, the low mids in the bass just work so well:

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Maybe try something like Soundways Low Leveler to add some suitable harmonics and maybe even remove some mud at the same time.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

In your YT example, the bass is wide - so most likley you need 2 or 3 voices unison. Then a sub layer (start with a sine and distort it slightly). Then, layer an attack sound (a tuned tom will do - use the frequency shifter this will tune only the low part of the tom while the attack will remain fairly the same). And finally, your YT example also have a third layer with a sound a 5th apart (and an octave lower).

In this genre the bass is actually the lead. And as a lead, it needs careful programming. Avoid using plugins like Seedz recommended. These are for fixing things in already made mixes/stems. You have the luxury of adding/removing everything you want as you actually create the song.

Anyway, chances is you will not nail it as you need more ear training. Just do as good as your ears can hear now, finish the song and keep improving by doing more songs (this is how you train your ears), not by obsessing a sound for weeks. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Your bass sounds really cool! The vid seems to have less sub frequencies and a rad distorted synth combined with the bass.

6. figroll

figroll Noisemaker

Experiment with chorus or unison to make it wide, but be careful of phase issues

7. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

to my ears
    ex1 sounds like the finnal bass-sound is made using mixing tricks at the end. a "oldskool sound"

ex2 sounds like 3 layers with a touch of eq. a "modern sound"

i like both btw

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Saturate. Roll off the low-end and the high-end.

Edit: Also try parallel filtering/extreme EQ -> distortion -> EQ. (in that order)
    That way you keep the low-end, yet add much more color/character.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    • List
  9. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

On those two video ones, i clearly hear saturation on bass.
    This saturation create a low mid boost, by saturating low end. As the bass freqs are first to be clipped, due to energy level.

Example : your bass fundamental is around 60 Hz. You saturate it, you will get saturated low mids at 120Hz.
    That's why you hear a "low mids" boost. It is NOT eq.
    You will get even more harmonics, like 240, 480 ... you will probably need to cut them a little.

Now, it is probably time to cut some lows too, because saturation will compress them so much it will probably "clutter" you mix.

That's why @Baxter (my mentor :wink:) said :
    Saturate. Roll off the low-end and the high-end.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. relexted

relexted Producer

Both examples use a short kick drum. That gives headroom for the kick, and doesn't clutter up the bass line.
    Besides saturation there are loads of other techniques.
    Multiband distortion is often used to keep control over unwanted mud in the low/lowmid range.
    Parallel distortion is fun too. First place a band pass filter, distort it, remove unwanted frequencies, mix it in with your original bass.
    And stereo bass is achieved by duplicating the mono bass or use a similar sound, highpass that, widen it with fx, and take control over how wide you want it to be.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  12. iamsomeone

iamsomeone Member

cheers guys! seriously thank you :) taken your suggestions into account, getting closer... still not entirely there though!

didn't have much time yesterday to experiment, but today I will try again from the beginning, without using too much sub (saturating low mids, cutting the lows and highs out, bit of parallel distortion/maybe even decimort bitcrush a bit).

13. Tyler Fingerle

Tyler Fingerle Member

is there a certain plugin you like to use? If so i might have it and can probably make you a preset for it

14. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

How is your room treated? EQs, compressors, saturators, etc etc can't fix standing waves, reverberation, acoustic aberrations, reflections etc. Your goals will be much easier to achieve in a properly treated space. Especially when dealing with lows and low mids.

15. KKK

KKK Newbie