How to get that tipical deep house vocal...

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by harryd, Apr 3, 2013.

1. harryd

harryd Newbie

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for some help and tips.
    From a few days I'm trying to get some trendy deep house vocal.
    It's really popular right now I think you know, I'm asking because I'm not a huge producer and I can't handle with it. I was looking for some tips on the internet but I didn't found any information.

I was trying to get that sound with some transpse and tempo changing but I'm doing something wrong because it's not that sound what I would like to get. I'm using Ableton.

So move on to the sound with I would like to get.

Here is the oryginal vocal version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNfTKoVZ3Pk

And here is edited version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6uvdpsyV9c

So to sum up, I will be really greatful for your help and tips. Generally I think that it will be cool information for all people with interested in deep house genre.

Thank you in advance.

PS. Sorry for my english, I'm working on it.
    Harry

3. djtenebrio

djtenebrio Newbie

I recomend you to use a vst called Pitch wheel, that one is pretty useful for editing the vocals the way you want it, you have to be very cleaver, it is not a one plugin process, you have to do several things to get that deep low effect you're looking for.

You can also get izotope nectar 2, that one comes with a preset for deep house vocals.

4. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

My personal tech is kinda manual but I find what key the vocals are in and then figure out what key I want to put them in. Then change the tempo to my desired tempo.

In most cases I just open up my daw and drop the vocal track on a midi channel and play around with it until I get it in the desired key. But this ofcourse also changes the tempo of the track so I export it when I have it at the right key (not worrying about the tempo yet). Then I bring it back in as a wav. THEN check to see what tempo the new render of the vocal track is in. Once I find that out, I export it with the bpm in the title (for example: "dry vocals 90"). Then I use audacity's tempo changer to change the tempo to whatever I need to change it to.

How To Change Tempo In Audacity

OR you can go the plugin route! This prog is kinda detailed for noobs but after playin around with it im sure you will get the hang of this sexy thang...

Melodyneeeeee!!!!!

Also you should look up a dude named Amtrac...he KILLS it with vocal sampling!!! Good reference tracks to listen and learn from.

5. arthursprong

arthursprong Newbie

In Ableton you could try warping straight so there's only 1 marker and the tempo stays the same over the full length. set warp mode to complex pro. drop the pitch an octave (-12 st). and lower the formants value + raise the envelope until it sounds right.

Drag the clip to arrangement view, set live to you desired tempo, freeze the track so it processes a wave file at your desired tempo with those edits so when you slice or whatever it doesn't change the sound because simpler/sampler don't use those warping values. Have fun with it!

6. evesixtynine

evesixtynine Newbie

vocals are done mono and doubled for stereo - theres a bit of reverb there - if you're very apt you can put the slightest phasing or chorus. finally compression is a standard for raising the quiet parts and diminishing the pitchy and piercing highs

7. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

How to get that 'tipical' Deep House vocal? Well, you could start off with changing that 'i' to a 'y' and then you'll get a 'typical' Deep House vocal...

Grammar Nazi awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

8. arthursprong

arthursprong Newbie

He did apologize for the grammar.

But was never heard from again... How "tipical"

9. kevinkapaj

kevinkapaj Newbie

If you are using FL, in the Channel Settings of the Vocal , you can see Pitch wheel aside Tempo and the other stuff.
    Try playing around with it.
    Moving it to the left, will lower the notes, to the right it's logically going to give the oposite effect.
    It's easiest way.

10. kidvibes

kidvibes Noisemaker

Try to follow arrangements from producers like Robin Schulz, Croatia Squad...basically it's not to hard, you just have to have good melodies