How to get that sound! (Big saw bass for drop)

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Gantre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Gantre

Gantre Newbie

So i'm looking to make this big saw bass, and i'm having difficulties with it. (I know the basic patch is pretty easy, but i still want need your help!)

Example of what i'm looking to achieve: (min 1:45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SieuWfqEMXo

3. xsze

xsze Guest

Try glide/portamento and make notes overlap, in this case go lower and you will get that effect, I'm not sure if you are looking for that :wink:

If you are looking for actual sound, on first glance I can vouch for Massive, Gentle Speech wavetable, fair amount of distortion, dimensional expander, visit voicing tab and seek for some You Tube tutorials, I guess somebody done it with far more details :wink:

4. damncas

damncas Newbie

you could start by goggling benni bannasi base presets i had a few random massive presets that sound like that its a start not to hard to make and tweak from other sounds

5. muaB

muaB Producer

not to forget: a lot of sidechain!

it might be some kind of shredder/waveshaper/degrader distortion??

6. xsze

xsze Guest

As far as distortion goes it's best to experiment, some multi band in chain would be nice(ohmicide,saturn,trash), but first trying to get most of it using insert1&2(bitcrusher,parabolic shaper,hardclipper...),noise and included fx tubes in Massive. :wink:

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

In signal order:

1) saw wave (you can use just one oscillator)
    2) EQ boost (pretty narrow bell) at three different frequencies (to add some "formant/vocal/bandpass character"), say one at 300Hz, one at 500Hz and one at 1kHz (adjust freq and Q-value to taste)
    3) dist/saturation (distort to taste)
    4) EQ finetune
    5) some slight stereo chorus, to make it wider. Later (@ 3:45 you can hear the stereo chorus paramters has changed and the overall effect increased)
    6) reverb (room), if needed.

Choose "monophonic" mode and add some portamento/glide and decide (overlapping note-lengths) which ones should be glided.
    Sidechain compress with 4/4 kick drum on key-insert.