How to get that mouth wah sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by aCouch, Oct 1, 2018.

1. aCouch

aCouch Noisemaker

You know when you put your mouth over a small speaker like a phone and open and close your mouth, Then it makes this "waaaaaoooooeeeeeeoooaa" sound depending on how you shape your mouth. How do I apply that to a sound in a DAW? Instead of course trying to put my mouth over my speakers.... I tried just sweeping a sharp bell curve on an eq like a resonance thingy, but its not working

Cheers!

3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I know for guitar, we use a Talk Box. Which is actually a speaker fed into a rubber tube that you put in your mouth and then mic as if singing.
    Would a vocoder do this? :dunno:

4. electriclash

electriclash Guest

...or an envelope filter- remember that green DoD one? loved that thing :hifive::hillbilly:

OP: try searching an 'auto-wah' feature- sugar bytes WoW2 have a vowel filter.. I'm sure there are loads like it :like:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. electriclash

electriclash Guest

lol I'm home and knew just where to find it :rofl:

20181001_164459.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Talkboxes are like mechanical convolution, so I would articulate the words and record it, then analyze that and deconvolve it into separate impulse and resonance files. Then convolve your source audio as the new impulse with your vocal resonance file. It might take some tweak like a bandpass filter and/or compression to make it sound right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. electriclash

electriclash Guest

:rofl: ...or that

:mates:

OP: add little automation and you should be nearly there

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

You could probably program it in a synth like sylenth by modulating a soft sounding synth for the opening/closing sound

9. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

open mouth , say wahhhhhhh. record it ..problem solved

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. G String

G String Rock Star

Do you mean to do it to any sound, or to make the sound that happens with your voice?

If you want a voice, formant filters? And sweep from lo to high, high to low? Or get a synth to go "yuy yuy yuy". :D

11. recycle

recycle Guest

you definitely need a talkbox

[​IMG]

and this is the sound:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

maybe iZotope VocalSynth 2

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Antares Articulator EVO (haven't tried it, found it googling)
    MDA Talkbox (haven't tried it, found it googling. It is free though. Just downloaded)

and as said just above iZotope VocalSynth 2

14. Jeebus, OP asked HOW, but this has turned into mostly just a list of products...

15. electriclash

electriclash Guest

+1

well if this kid would just weigh in we'd know what he meant lol

16. anthony doyle

anthony doyle Kapellmeister

"You know when you put your mouth over a small speaker like a phone and open and close your mouth, Then it makes this "waaaaaoooooeeeeeeoooaa" sound depending on how you shape your mouth. How do I apply that to a sound in a DAW? Instead of course trying to put my mouth over my speakers.... I tried just sweeping a sharp bell curve on an eq like a resonance thingy, but its not working"

Response:
    What your describing is the exact definition of a talkbox, a talkbox is miniature speaker with a tube coming out of it, you plug a synth or a guitar into the talkbox and the sound goes into the speaker and then out through the tube in your mouth which gives it that daft punk "around the world" sound. Its also often used for the wow a ow type of sound. You make the words or noises with your mouth.

What your describing is below and its a basic version of a talkbox.

Here are some vsts if you don't want to pay for a talkbox

takbox wah wah

17. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

For those interested in talkboxing. I cannot really recommend buying one, as there aren't really any commercial talkboxes that are any good. I owned a Rocktron Banshee 2 for 5-6 years. Better sounding than what else was available back then. Still pretty bad though. You're better off making one yourself. If you know what you're doing, you'll end up with a talkbox 10 times better than anything you can get in your local musicstore for a hell of a lot better price. It is currently not possible to replicate a talkbox with software.

To op: I believe WOW2 will do wonders :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. johndoehizzle

johndoehizzle Kapellmeister

wow2, wah-wah pedal effect vst , possibly a phaser effect with filter

19. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Putting a Peter Frampton tribute band together?

20. I rattled a filling loose the first time I used one and then I never used one ever again. It was an old Heil talkbox I bought at a flea market. I immediately tossed the tube that it came with into the trash (yucky, gross and yellowed) and went to a hardware store to get a new one. I went home, hooked it up, running it up to my SM58 along the mic stand and used a fat rubber band to keep the tube and mic together. After a few times of singing, "Do you feel like we do"... a molar filling was out of the tooth and in the back of my throat. I sold it the next weekend.

21. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Did you get much for the tooth?