How to get that kind of bell sound?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by nyaa13, Oct 18, 2021.

1. nyaa13

nyaa13 Producer

Hello, does anyone happens to know the origin of the sample/preset that was used for those Bell like sounds? Or if it's possible somehow to achieve a really close result with sound designing?
    First sound at 00:14 seconds (Good quality bell sound sample) in this :

Second one here at 00:27 seconds (Poorer quality bell sound sample, different sound also cool and slightly similar style to the 1st one)

I am currently trying to search old synthesizer samples like from DX7 Yamaha and Roland D50 in case it might be somewhere from these ones. Also trying to learn how to sound design similar sounds using U-he Zebra2 (beginner at this stuff, but started watching some tutorials) although i would prefer the same sample/preset used in the above videos if anyone happens to know anything...

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can get this with FM or a sampler (with a marimba- or vibraphone like sample with a transient and a sine-ish single cycle loop).
    The second video/song is more like FM.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  4. nyaa13

nyaa13 Producer

Thanks for your very quick reply. I will go try and experiment using that advice and hopefully I can manage something...

5. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

I'd just add this "trick" (that in fact I learned on this forum..;) - try to find out when something was recorded. You can then narrow down your search to the popular synths/sound modules etc of that time. And look for live performances. In the first case the composer was using Yamaha Tyros.. I think there is a sampled version of some presets somewhere, no VSTi AFAIK

And the second advice would be - don't go too crazy to get 100% close to the original (unless that's your only goal). Usually those who composed very memorable riffs are less concerned with the sound than we are :)

Good luck! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Direct drive

Direct drive Producer

Sounds like a vibraphone with reverb if not try different layers in purity bells. PURE.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  7. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

8. nyaa13

nyaa13 Producer

Thanks, that's very useful. :bow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

It is. It works best on older recordings. If you evaluate a current song, it could be literally anything made prior to today. sampled, cloned by a manufacturer, or Plugin emulated. But prior to, let's call it 1990 (a good round number for the advent of samplers smaller and more common than a Fairlight) it can be really helpful. Usually you can narrow it down to a few suspects, and then just eliminate by original production date of the device. You can easily find production dates on vintage synth sites.

If this was an older track, you would listen with Baxter's ears and identify the FM origin of the sample/patch. You'd be looking right at your DX patches. it's cool when you ID one and then get to play it on the original device. that doesn't usually work out. better chance than always with dx7, every patch has been used. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  10. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Off-topic but MAN I miss Purity. My copy stopped working properly ages ago and it's as if the keys aren't mapped properly

Anyway, they both remind me of the BottleBell/SynMallet/Digi-Bells on my Korg M1 so maybe try those?

11. serdarolguner

serdarolguner Member

First video : I'm not %100 sure but Sound like Beatskillz - Synthwave Keys. it's about $9.00
    I made a short video for you to listen :

12. izotope666

izotope666 Member

The first one can be found in Keyscape (Bellatone) category