How to get intense, soulful strings? Maybe a sample library recommendation?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by runawayhitchhiker, Nov 24, 2020.

1. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

A dry library is great to mix with other sounds, especially in the bass range. And you're right, I probably wouldn't want to use them standalone.

2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

I don't know what you mean. I didn't say that. Do you mean 'solo' rather than standalone?
    Or maybe you mean 'not without an external reverb'?

upd: thought you were the op, obvs! :deep_facepalm:

3. rollerball

rollerball Platinum Record

Agreed. IMHO Studio Strings is probably the most versatile string library from Spitfire.

4. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

Well, the strings that you had showed in this track are sounding classical to me either. I quess you're probably looking more for synth strings.

5. Smoove Grooves

How does this statement correlate with the strings you hear in the track?

6. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

He basically says he wants strings which are not sounding classical, isn't it? Well, the strings are also having a type of classical sound in that track in my opinion, which is making this track not like a good fit for me either anyway. So in that case I try to provide him with some other suggestions. Maybe it helps. Maybe not.

7. Smoove Grooves

Not to my ears. Or to the OP. If that were so, he could use the libs that sound "too classical" that he mentioned.
    So you won't like a lot of other arrangements of this genre. Or maybe you prefer the Philly sound.
    I'll be more direct this time: Do the strings in the recording sound like synth strings to you?

8. korniceman3000

korniceman3000 Ultrasonic

Not sure which library will provide the same authentic track recording sound but there is a free VST called Redtron SE that you could layer on top of some dry strings from NI Session Strings. With some high pass, mid-eq boost and some volume balancing, you might be able to simulate the strings from your example.

https://sites.google.com/site/artifakelabs/

9. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

Not needed to be direct. Oh, no, absolutely not. I mean in not fitting that his chosen track was a bit confusing me. No hate or anything to the track or question at all. I also love the track and it sounds good. I am a huge fan of classical in particular anyway. Please, don't get me wrong.

Although, in my opinion real orchestra instruments like strings, woodwinds and brasses will always have a type of classical sound to me, no matter what and which is why I am referring to synths, because they aren't by far classical. I assume he is referring to real good recorded orchestra strings with just a different type of sound. Well, in that case I quess a more helpful answer to him could be probably Cinematic Strings?

10. Rockseller

Rockseller Platinum Record

hey,
    "violin untamed" is killer and you will like it for sure :wink:

11. Smoove Grooves

THAT is an extremely helpful answer, and you are right that it has a certain sound. And I love that library too.
    It's also smaller than SSP, the interface is better than SSP, and I can get takesdown quicker with it!
    But I posited SSP because of a certain sound colour I hear in it and the video recording.
    You know, I think Cinematic Strings Pro may be better.
    I actually felt that you were there somehow!

12. Smoove Grooves

The Flautando on that! You've hit the nail on the head! To my ears, that's in this track!

13. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

I also love the string sound of that era. I agree that this must be a smaller string section, maybe 4 - 6 players. Big part of the sound is the analogue recording chain: mainly the saturation, noise and crosstalk of consoles and tapes. Not to forget the mastering and 'printing' to vinyl as the final medium of delivery.

Due to the limitations of the analogue production gear and delivery medium compared to today's digital you would also have to roll off some of the highs from a modern string library to get in the right ballpark. Not to mention that strings played via MIDI from a library will hardly sound 100% authentic. They might sound accurate soundwise (eg when you play a single note), but not playing wise (eg interaction between the players, real life articulations vs programmed articulation)...

Here is another one from this era with great string accompaniment:

14. korniceman3000

korniceman3000 Ultrasonic

Maybe this video might help on how you can convert Spitfire orchestra chamber strings (provided you have that library) into something less classical sounding. I know it says disco strings but it features similar articulations used in some early motown and soul songs. Maybe adding RC-20 or some other vintage plug-in to that would add the aging of string sound and reduce the cinematic orchestra feel...