How to get around long file location names being an issue?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Bunford, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I love the PML (Production Music Live) stuff and think they're definitely a market leader in what they do, be it courses, presets, and sample packs. However, one things they seem to do is have folder within folder within folders that result in a huge string of characters for file names. This normally goes beyond the 260 character limit for Windows, and so I often get an error about transferring PML stuff to my storage drive(s), being the one below:

upload_2023-10-5_15-8-13.png

Is there any way to work around this without having to spend an age manually renaming a bunch of things to try and pot luck it down to sub-260 characters?

I've tried:
    • enabling Long Paths in registry; and
    • using xcopy command as Admin (which fails due to there being spaces in many of the file names etc, so necessitates manual intervention again).

3. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Make sure the destination path is a short as possible. So make a directory like C:\a and copy all files there. From there you can 'move' the content to other locations on that drive.

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I went through with Bulk Rename Utility and renamed all folders and files to "PML" instead of Production Music Live

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Already the case. It's S:\Samples, so can't be much shorter without being the root.

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Done this too and always call them PML to try and shorten, but it still seems to happen.

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Best Answer
    One of the recent Windows 11 bi-yearly updates supposedly added long path name support to Explorer/Files. Alternatively try a file manager that natively supports long path names (Total Commander for example).

EDIT: 7-Zip File Manager may work too.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  8. RachProko

RachProko Producer

S:\Samples is already 6 characters more than S:\s ? Maybe just what you need to be within 256 characters?

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I get that, but PML need to be realistic here too. Some users will only have the OS' C:\ drive and it's obviously not realistic to expect people to store all this stuff on their C:\ root drive. There has to be enough space to accommodate so kind of organisation rather than using up the entire 260+ characters for their own file structures without giving users an option to even organise the stuff anywhere except for the root of a drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This worked. Cheers for the prompt. :wink: I forget about the File Manager aspect and only use 7z as an archive/zip tool!