How to get a well known singer to work with?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vincent Price, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

That wouldn't be a problem either!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
  2. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yep, they all want points, including their management and label, etc. Best to find an unknown local singer.

3. LinoBanfi

LinoBanfi Guest

Let’s recap: the OP is "How to get a well known singer to work with”. From what I understand, the girl asking for help is a bedroom producer, so the answer is easy: You can’t. If you are so good in producing music and you get noticed, there may be a remote possibility that the "well known singer" will hire you.
    Meanwhile, you are left with these options:

• zero budget: You sing and transform your voice into that of the "well known singer" via AI
    • $50 to $100 budget: Hire a singer that sound like the "well known singer" on Fiverr website (working in remote)
    • $250 Budget: Hire a good singer that can come to your studio to record the vocal performance (working on site) Price may vary depending on geolocation
    I can't think of any other options other than these

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2024
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Those are probably the best options for Ms Vince. I'm friends with a Grammy Award winning songwriter, and it's all about the money and who you know. Established people don't mess about with random no-names.

5. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

ive had luck by just sliding into instagram DM's. If you have something to bring to the table, many will be willing.

6. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

Hit em up on socials (if you have a budget) and if they like your track half work is done. Beware most won’t even reply and many factors are involved (connections, budget, quality of work, list goes on).

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

With who? The people I know won't even listen to other peoples musical ideas due to potential bogus plagiarism claims, and you don't get in the same room without a contract agreement.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
  8. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Some genre / YouTube Discords have collab channels / forums. If you're starting from 0 and have no local or internet friends, not the worst place to start connecting.

9. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

money, lots of money, and try to make the song good, but still money, lots of money......

10. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

Many different artist. No A List artist like arianna grande or justin beiber etc, but plenty of independent artist with a large following. Im not going to name names, but this technique has worked many times. Many artist with millions of spotify streams and 100's of thousands social media followers.

I also lead off with something like "hey, im signed with (my publisher), and have a great relationship with their sync department. Im always searching for new collaborators for sync projects, and would love to talk with you about getting together on something. If you arent familiar, Sync is a great way to earn income, as well as elevate your project / bring your music to a new audience. Would love to chat more, please hit me up whenever, either here, or @ (my email address).

I'll sometimes include some credits to sweeten the pitch, add something like, "i've had my music featured with Apple, Netflix, HBO, Target, etc etc".

This works extremely well, as 95% of artist want to make some money lol. I occasionally will get someone who doesnt want to do anything without up front pay, or some other reason, but a large majority of them are down to work. I often go from DM to zoom writing session or IRL session in a couple days.

Edit:

Also, for what its worth, i have rarely had issues with contract agreement. Splits get brought up in the initial zoom call (always even splits. master and pub), and we will draft a simple docusign once we have finished a song or group of songs.

Ive found that artist who say something like "cool, let me link you with my manager" don't work out. Their manager is the majority of the time a clueless idiot, who only want money upfront, and dont understand the value of sync. Artist that either handle or their own shit, or have a manager, but are still down to speak for themselves as well, are the artist worth pursuing.

11. officialswish

officialswish Member

aside from the clueless idiot part, bc managers at the high levels are not clueless idiots i can assure you, its been my experience that this part is definitely true. but this means you have to put yourself in the environment and go network. and build relationships. the relationships part, is why the AI suggestion is stupid.

12. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Kapellmeister

You talking from a situation where both artist starting out from a similar level .
    Also you seem extroverted and good in aquiring and connecting aaand in the right genre ....

13. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

which is ??

really, if you have $1M in your pocket can't be that hard to contact an agency for a feature in a song...
    its a win-win for everyone involved.

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

That's cool :wink: I'm just a nobody who knows a few successful people. As I see it, most of the money flows to the top of the pyramid, and that's where you will see people defending their spaces, while others are trying to take advantage of them. It's a nasty business.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

Chiming in here some more.

Nobody just has a magical plug, it definitely takes work. It can help to build your catalog, by working with "lesser" artist. Local artist within your community, etc. If you deliver consistent, quality material, doors will open for you, no matter what your status is. Word gets around. The random no name artist you did an ep with, is maybe cousins with Artist X's manager, etc.

Its also a numbers game. You reach out to 5 people you may get all no's, or no reply. You reach out to 100, there is likely a few people in there that will consider taking a meeting with you to discuss further.

16. officialswish

officialswish Member

people casually walking around with $1m in their pockets are not the point of this discussion. people casually walking around with $1m are probably blowing it on hookers and coke.

its difficult because there is a filter process for anything with a brand attached and just any old guy from a forum doesnt deserve access just because you have an email. people worked their asses off to get to where they are and casually tossing around money without even considering brands involved is haphazard and lazy.

17. Woah guys, I wouldn’t say A list artist

18. Magic Max

Magic Max Platinum Record

The question nobody has asked you is "how good is your song"? If you've got a killer song and your colleagues here get behind you, you might find that they have contacts they will supply you in private. Over the years I've worked with some legendary singers and if your track is good enough people like myself might be willing to give you email addresses.

19. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I didn't read much about the replies in this thread seeing a lot of suggestions and whatnot but here where I live, it's close to impossible to get you straight to a well known singers as the people around them gatekeep everything. The artists themselves are tied to a contract that prevents them from talking or discussing about this with anyone without the label. As much as I hate to say it, 80% of it is just luck which precisely saying they found you, and asked their people/team to seek you. It could be your previous work, or some soundcloud/bandcamp thing or anything and the A&R contacts you asking if you're interested or have more tracks or demo. This is super rare this day and close to non-existent here but I have heard something like that in the US.

Never send demo to the labels before they asked for it officially, just don't do it, a lot of reasons both psychologically, self-worth and the list goes on. You might even get scammed and you probably not rich enough to win a lawsuit against them.

Approaching them has 1/100 chance it will work as there's already a long list of people that will going to get involved in the artists upcoming 2 3 albums that haven't even been drafted. We all know they don't really have a lot of say in that. Mostly because trading favors, business promises or the higher ups instruction for the same reason. I don't know if it's strange or uncommon but here it's more about politics, sucking up, kissing ass and all that sort of things involves if you're new and it's even more painful if you don't have contacts or people you know that work closely in the circle, like I said earlier the gatekeeping is so strong in this business. The most powerful thing for a newbie is always recommendation. That's why people slave their way into internship and become an assistant for big names for 10-15 years before actually starting their own gig. Credit list, track record can be (very little tbh) helpful but if you already have a good one you probably wont even be asking this. Most people that I know made their name by giving their song, producing a new artist fresh from oven that somehow got big after, I think all of them are like that. I think there exist new people that go straight to big artists but I don't have anyone that I personally know being that lucky. You only need one successful job like that and suddenly the chance that a well known singer and his/her team to find you will hit the roof. It's like waiting for your crush to like you back totally being aware he/she doesnt even know you exist, it's stupid but it's a lot like that in this business, at least here where I live.

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Good post :wink: I started off in a local community songwriting circle. It was a lot of fun and we always had interest from singers who were just starting out and wanted to collaborate with us. It was a hobby for me, but some of our group went on to achieve success in the music industry. If I had a potential hit song, I would be scouting open mic events for talent. There are some amazing singers out there if you know where to look. Established artists would probably be calculating the amount of money they would lose if they didn't control the publishing side of things.