How to fully uninstall Kontakt 5 on MAC

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by learner, Jul 22, 2012.

1. learner

learner Newbie

Does anybody know how to fully uninstall kontakt 5 I need to do this for reinstalling a proper version of it because with the new update by teamVR I cant load any libraries

3. lisapower

lisapower Member

Apple don't want that you see the systemfiles, but there is a way to do that.
    To search & see any File that belongs to a Name you are searching in Finder you have to make some settings in Finder, this is how you do.

1. Open Finder
    2. In the search box put in your vsti name
    3. Hit the + in Finder
    4. In Finder where "Art" is written select "other" - (new Window comes up)
    5. Select "Systemfiles (inc. Systemfiles, Preferencfiles, Plug-......)". - please note i have my mac set to German, so i have try to translate in english and maybe it's not exactly as written.
    6. Close Window.
    7. In Finder Where is written "Art", select now "SystemFiles". Now it should stay on "SystemFiles".
    8. Right next where is written "Not included" select "Include" (there are only two options). - please note i have my mac set to German, so i have try to translate in english and maybe it's not exactly as written.
    9. Now you should be able to search & see any File that belongs to the Name you are searching in Finder.

(Attencion, only if you put in the Name in Finder's searchbox the + will apear, so that you can choose SystemFiles & Included.)

hope this helps

4. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

Native Instruments installers write files into the following directories (the ~ symbol means your user home directory)

* MacintoshHD/Applications (unless otherwise specified at installation time)
    * MacintoshHD/Library/Preferences
    * MacintoshHD/Users/~/Library/Preferences
    * MacintoshHD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/ VST
    * MacintoshHD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components
    * MacintoshHD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-ins

Alternatively, you may navigate to the above directories and manually delete the files / folders. As a rule of thumb, the files associated with the product usually contain the product name. For example, the Kontakt 5 preferences file is called Kontakt 5.plist.

Code:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=niosxtut2&L=5
    :wink:

5. learner

learner Newbie

I've deleted everything I promise I opened Houdini to make sure that there's no hidden files by native instrument in each folder but i still have the same error message, the library is added in Kontakt but when i load a nki file I still have this message this patch is encrypted and cannot be loaded unless the respective library is registered properly and only for the libraries that I added after this update. It's like all this files are not those will resolve this problem. Is there other files by kontakt or NI with other names ?
    Thanks

6. learner

learner Newbie

sorry I don't understand

7. learner

learner Newbie

I've just noticed something , in the database part of Kontakt it still shows all the presets of all the previous libraries that I added and this after deleting all the files/folders that you suggested me.

8. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

learner – have you tried to rebuild & rescan the database?

9. learner

learner Newbie

yes but it changes nothing

10. wavesequence

wavesequence Newbie

Unfortunately there are some libraries that don't work. i.e. Requiem Light *no*

11. Alraun

Alraun Member

There are two other files you should delete as well:

- Users/Name/Library/Saved Application State/com.native-instruments.Kontakt 5.savedState

- Mac/Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.Content.plist

and maybe in some cases all the plist files of your Kontakt libraries as well, not only the ones of Kontakt itself.
    Back them up before.
    If you do that, consider that older library plist files don´t have this com.native-instrument prefix in front of the library name.

But this is an older topic - i am sure you don´t have this problem anymore.

Btw....EasyFind is a great tool for Mac. It´s for free and does a far better search than Spotlight. EasyFind searches everywhere, including invisible files or archives.
    You will be surprised, how many files showing up while doing a search with EasyFind.....

12. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

As Alraun already mentioned use EasyFind.

Perhaps you have to remove some receipts from /Library/Receipts (or wherever ML stores installer receipts) and remove the relevant entries from the InstallHistory.plist there. NI also installs receipts in /private/var/db/receipts (On Snow Leopard) and some of them are invisible, they start with a dot. Then there's a third receipts folder in your Home folder's Library. Again be aware that perhaps Apple has changed the location. Use EasyFind.

13. John Boy

John Boy Newbie

Just wanted to add that I went through this hell today while trying to update from 5.3 to 5.5. the 5.5 update didn't work and i could neither downgrade to 5.3 nor retry the update. i followed the advice on this page, i.e. Alraun's advice about EasyFind. I searched for all files with Kontakt associated with them. There were some in my private folder that were the culprits and in the receipts folder. Thanks for all your help and I hope this reply can help someone else in similar circumstances. BIG HELP! I couldn't live it without Kontakt.

14. mapjay

mapjay Member

hi guys. to fully remove kontakt 5, yes delete ALL files and folders related to "kontakt 5". restart then empty trash and then do install of new versions. don't forget to delete the kontakt 5 folder in ~/Documents folder, too (not listed on removal list, above).

k'd Kontakt v4.2.2 will play every patch and library requiring up to that version v4.2.2...
    k'd kontakt v5.0.3 will play most libraries up until v5.0.3, including most older patches and libraries
    k'd kontakt v5.4.1 will play EVERY library up to about v5.4.2, including ALL older kontakt libraries and patches.
    k'd kontakt any higher then v5.4.1 right now, will only play late v4 and v5 libraries, so no older patches and libraries.

if you require running kontakt later than v5.4.1 (i.e, the best k'd kontakt version available) for the newest kontakt libraries, then you will also need to run a v4 k'd kontakt, for the older patches and libraries that were made before kontakt 5 came out

if you want the database completely refreshed, delete ALL .plist files in both preferences locations for ALL libraries. you will then have to re-add ALL libraries and patches to the fresh new database, once you've installed kontakt again

hope that helps