How to find all files on Mac to avoid reinstallation troubles!

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Alraun, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Alraun

Alraun Member

I´ve noticed some people having certain problems with the one or other audio application even after having reinstalled them, which in some case has to do with certain files remaining on the drive after uninstallation.
    Often application uninstallers and even special uninstallation tools don´t find all related files and left them back. This is not new to most of you. But many Mac Users don´t know about this mighty magic FREE third party tool:

"DEVONTechnologies EasyFind" http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

"Spotlight is great, but sometimes you need something more specialized. EasyFind finds files and folders by name or content using advanced Boolean operators similar to DEVONthink and DEVONagent, wildcards, and phrases.
    It does not require indexing, is fast, and uses very little memory. Of course EasyFind doesn't just give you the files, it also shows previews and gives you many other options to work with them. And it's free. Life can be so good."

You will be surprised, how many files you will see showing up with EasyFind. It let´s you search for the invisible files as well as in archives.

Since i have this app, i even disabled Spotlight completely - without facing disadvantages so far. Quite the contrary: no indexing, faster system, better system ressources.

Try this out !

3. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

Been using it for years. One of my go-to-tools, finds pretty much everything. Fast and free as well.

:wink:

4. Sonorite

Sonorite Newbie

I'd forgotten I had this app - thanks for reminding me - it really is so much better than spotlight for finding those pesky invisible files. I also find that prefsetter (Night productions) is a great way to uncover any prefs hidden away to linger on your HDD. Thanks for the prompt - it's in my dock now :)

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Thnx 4 the heads up!

6. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Awesome thanks for this ! i was trying to find my Studio One Hacked expire license before, and this would of made it easier. rock on Dude

7. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Didn't know this one !

Great thx for the heads up !

8. paraplu020

paraplu020 Banned

great share, didn't know the tool but like it already *yes*