How to extract Acapellas

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by djradu, Apr 17, 2014.

1. djradu

djradu Newbie

I always used acapellas from various websites,i know a little bit about the extraction process but allmost nothing on the same time.How do you do it,what software,what ways,how to proceed , please help the "litle guy" thanks in advance ! :)

3. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Audacity

4. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Step 1. In your favorite audio editor (I like using Audacity for this), import both the instrumental and the full song on to separate audio tracks.
    Step 2. Since the song you’re working with is most likely in stereo, convert both tracks to mono audio and pan one all the way left and one all the way right. Audacity will split both stereo tracks when converting to mono, so also remove any extra tracks that may have been created during this step.
    Step 3. Take care to make sure that both tracks are perfectly in sync with each other, lining up the start point of each waveform. The position of the peaks and valleys in the waveform and how well they line up is crucial here. This alignment must be surgically exact in order to isolate the vocal properly.
    Step 4. Once you’ve lined up the audio, select your instrumental track and use the Invert option to flip the waveform upside down. This will create the audio cancellation effect we’re going for by adding interference to the instrumental of the layered tracks, letting the vocals shine through without any background frequencies.
    :mates:

5. remix

remix Platinum Record

Beatroot pretty much summed it up...

6. djradu

djradu Newbie

Thankks guys,but what is Beatroot ? Cant find it on google ! :(

7. Dead3eatz

Dead3eatz Noisemaker

Lel, sorry i had to lol, but beatroot is the name of the guy who replied to you :D

8. djradu

djradu Newbie

Oh men did not paid enough atention lmfao ! :dunno:
    So i dont really understand the audacity can you explain a litle bi more,kike you woul explayn to a granmom how to strat te pc ? :rofl:

9. The Prophet

The Prophet Newbie

Why the need to convert the tracks to mono and pan them? I would completely skip this step personally...

10. remix

remix Platinum Record

i think its to do with the phasing...it works better if the tracks are in mono!

11. djradu

djradu Newbie

Ok so its compicated i have downloaded gb of acapellas from to****ts from the 70's to present but i dont have some i need since i like to mix,produce and remix DEEP HOUSE,INDIE DANCE, NU DISCO :snuffy: are there any other ways for "grandmother" ? :rofl: Thank you all my good friends :mates: So in Audacity i load same song on 2 separate traks,convert both traks to mono,then the balance of one full balance to left & the other one full balance to right,both traks must be in perfectly in syncronisation , i invert one track to flip the waveform upside down this will create the audio cancellation effect we need ,ading inerferance and boom theres the ACAPELLA ?But i dont understand the instrumental track and the other one,are not thei identicall ? :dunno: Oh men ! So let me clear things up : I wanth to remix a song,i just need the singers voice,the acappela, so i can put it in a lets say deep house track how do i do this , thake a voice from lets say an R&B song and use it in a deep house remix,thats all THANK YOU ALL ! :mates:

12. djradu

djradu Newbie

Cant i use FL STUDIO or other DAW for this stuff ! ? :dancing:

13. remix

remix Platinum Record

Yeah any DAW will do...

14. djradu

djradu Newbie

But how...lets say in FL Studio,thanks ?!

15. The Prophet

The Prophet Newbie

Maybe if there was some sort of extenuating circumstance.. otherwise I have to respectfully disagree with this notion.

If you have a stereo mix and the same mix without vocals then there's no reason to convert to mono in order to null out the instruments. All you are doing is losing the stereo information in the isolated vocal tracks for no good reason.

RADU, to put it simply: if you have the proper mix of a track and the instrumental mix of that same track, you can use the instrumental mix to cancel out the instruments in the proper mix, leaving you with just the vocals.

The reason for this is if you have two identical tracks and you invert the polarity on one then they will cancel out completely when combined (even by just playing them together). If one of those tracks is different then that difference, whatever it is, will be left over as there is nothing to cancel it out. In your case what's left over will be the vocals you so desire. Obviously there are many different possible applications for this principle.

You can do this in any DAW or audio editor. Simply:

• load both of the mixes on separate tracks
    • make sure they are perfectly lined up
    • invert the polarity on one of them (it doesn't matter which)

If you don't get perfect cancellation of the instrumental mix there are lots of reason why that could be.. most likely because the tracks are not synchronised properly or there may be quality or processing differences between the tracks..

16. djradu

djradu Newbie

Thank you The Prophet for your time in eplaining somestuff like this to me ! Apreciated ! :mates:

17. speakerfreaker

speakerfreaker Noisemaker

this might be of use to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKoZtB5tkMs

or just search 'how to make aCapellas on youtube :)

18. djradu

djradu Newbie

Oh thanks my friend ! :mates: good one !