how to equalize all waves to same level?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by vampire, Oct 31, 2011.

1. vampire

vampire Newbie

yea guys thanks, it's definately compression what i need it appears, thanks again

2. smartlad

smartlad Member

Try THIS

Its a free vst that will allow you to see your wave form in real time, just place it on the master. It will show you how compression is altering things, but remember its just a visual aid, use your ears!!

Good luck :)

3. Xiny6581

Xiny6581 Noisemaker

In my world and now I parsed the firstly asked question, he is looking for a way to normalize the soundscape to get an equal level in the sound without losing soundquality or get artifacts.
    The way I see it can be achieved in many ways;
    One way is to normalize the soundscape, find the maximum peak level. Perhaps use a noisegate to avoid any artifacts in the soundimage, since it looks like a lot of silence can make unwanted noises.
    Another way is to use a maximize, like Ultramizer and get the same result as an ordinary normalizer would to.
    I am just guessing so don't accuse me when I am only trying to help, okay? :)
    Have a good one and keep em' coming in nice pace,
    Xiny6581 :mates:

edit: Ahh, I noticed what he wanted now :D So just whisper in the wind for this post ;)

4. tek909

tek909 Member

compression or multiband compression is what i would go with. :wow:

5. smartlad

smartlad Member

HERE is some more info on myths about normalization.

6. gowers

gowers Newbie

Quick and dirty answer is a compressor, this will not increase the lower peaks in volume but instead squash the higher peaks and allow the entire waveform to be increased in volume.

Long answer is a whole can of worms, because not only is the input content important. For example drums, strings etc require different processes. There are many other factors that determine how output the sound. If you are producing for TV for Film for music or multimedia you will process differently for each as RMS not Peak is more important.

Ironically this maybe a drum loop that needs eqing to sit in a mix nicely or is only a small part of a song, either way you are looking to balance and mix together elements. If you are mixing a song and this is the output on a master you aren't mixing correctly as you should really need very little limiting or compression to fill the waveform.

You mention that manual volume changes would be too much but i guarantee you that for most producers this would be the best way to do it, slicing a drum loop and changing individual hit volumes is very commonplace.