How to EQ properly in Home studio?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Highdom, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Hi boys, I have a pair of KRK Rokit 6. I know every room has different acoustic specs. I noticed that there's a 2 band EQ in the back of my monitors to set up them and adapt in each room, I guess. But how to understand how to set them?

Thanks!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

mix through each hf setting , listen on different mediums later (car, phone, headphones etc). if your mixes a bit dark now, set it to -2db so you (compensate) dial in more highs. if your mix a bit harsh , set it to +1db. at least it works like that on genelecs

on krk they say if your room is heavily dampened set it to +2db. don't worry too much, studio monitors are designed that way that if you know what you're doing and you trust your ears your mixes will come out kickass ! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2017
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The main advantage of nearfield monitors is that the room accoustics doesn't count too much (other than with midfiled monitors or bigger ones). Especially at lower volumes.
    If you want to do it the professional way create a pink or white noise sample (pink is more comfortable to listen to) measure it with a specialized microphone (or at least with one sounding most neutral) where you sit (where your ears are) record that and compare the two waveforms.
    Then you will know how the monitors and the room affect the frequencies. Rember that the louder you hear the more the room will change the sound and the more the waveforms differ. So do this with the volume you are listening mostly to.
    If this is too extensive for you stick to what korte1975 suggested.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. saltwater

saltwater Guest

they’re intended to be used subtly, if at all
    just let everything at 0 and see how it goes

checking the manual is probably a good idea

6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@korte1975, that is excellent advice!

Also, some sort of isolation pads helped my KRK's (Rokit 8's) with separation and tightened the bottom end. Though my mixes are tending to be bass heavy. I'm checking that by comparing my mixes against reference tracks in a vehicle I just put some subs in. When I arrive at the proper levels, I'll use that to help me "learn my monitors* in the listening environment they are in. Best help I had with taming harshness was getting a set of Samson SR-850's. These are very revealing for the top end. These helped me learn the top end of the monitors.
    Maybe I need to twist on my eq knobs a little...

7. goodmood

goodmood Noisemaker

I can't work without IK Multimedia's ARC system anymore...
    I know opinions vary about it, but I f*cking LOVE it!
    Been using it for over 6 years now, and wherever I mix, I just do a five minute measurement session, an I'm good to go.
    It's not cheap, but I am sure it can be if you look for it ;-)
    Just buy the Behringer MD8000 mic for a couple of dollars, and 'get' the software.....

Ps. If you are not familiar with the system; it measures your room's frequency characteristics and creates a correction to use in the ARC plugin, resulting in a very honest listening experience, without coloration and phase problems.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  8. saltwater

saltwater Guest

this Rokit filters aren't "state of the art", best quality is everything at 0
    only adjust them if you have problems, usually the manual tells you what settings to try in the various situations

the whole isolation pad story is a science in itself, they need to be the right size & material matching the weight of the speakers
    and the whole mount/stand and positioning situation needs to be considered.
    stay away from ordinary foam, speakers "swim" on it + thats low density foam and will compress over time
    even high density ones compress too much over time if not sized properly

in the end don't overthink this all too much, trying everything out is the key

9. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

Get some gasoline, pour it evenly and liberally on your krk monitors. Next, strike a match, toss the match on your left monitor. Strike another match, toss it on your right monitor. Smile pat yourself on the back. Get in your car, drive to nearest guitar center. Then purchase a pair of Yamaha or JBLs. 90% of your problem is solved.

10. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

I came up with an inexpensive solution a few months ago that seems to work so far.
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/studio-monitor-isolation.30995/

11. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Isn't the treble adjustment to (somewhat) compensate for the halfway damaged ears of us live concert lovers? :winker:

12. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

unless you know the acoustics of your room it makes less sense to adjust anything

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List