How to download vids from Vimeo [Win7 Firefox]

Discussion in 'PC' started by cheeseman909, Jul 1, 2017.

1. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

Hi,
    in the past I downloaded streaming videos on vimeo and other platforms with
    Videodownloadhelper (on Windows 7 w/ Firefox) and it worked great.
    Since some time you have to install a Videoconverter for Videodownloadhelper
    and you have to pay 20€ for it. Are there any other addons or programs
    which is possible to download streaming videos from vimeo?
    Any recommendations?

3. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

JDownloader works for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

5. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Just tested. It works!!! :wink:

6. GammaStar

GammaStar Platinum Record

7. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

Yes it works great.. However, if you have a healthy amount of download bandwidth... uncheck the "avoid source quality(Chunked)" setting in the twitch.tv plugin in JDownloader to get the best quality download...

8. inusable

inusable Producer

Jdownloader for me too, works great for vimeo, youtube and all those kind of websites.

Oh, and it works for websites like bandcamp and soundcloud too.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

always works. but be sure to download from http://www.jdownloader.org/ and there JD2 of course.

10. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

Thanks guys for so many answers but nothing works:
    I'm using JDownloader2 everyday for downloading everything. If I want to download a "normal" video from www.vimeo.com oder youtube,
    that works always. No question. But I want to download streaming tutorials from an music producer website I paid for and here
    jDownloader2 doesn't work. I tried to find the vimeo-link in the sourcecode of the hompage, but JDownloader says: "Offline".
    In the past, only the Firefox-Addon "Video DownloadHelper" worked (perfect) for me, but since some weeks you need a videoconverter for it
    from the same company....and it is not free! I can pay 20 € for it, yes, but how long will it work? At the moment the videoconverter
    burns a big watermark into the video and you can't use these downloaded vimeostreams anymore!
    I hope there is an other way to download it or hack this little videoconverter ;-)
    Cheers

11. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

JD2 works flawlessly with Twitch. If it isn't working for you then your configuration has an issue and its likely to be related to the twitch.tv plugin settings within JD2. Note my comment about unchecking the "avoid source quality' setting.... to get the best quality download.. and also understand that you just need to copy the web address for the twitch stream... or video and wait for it to appear in JD2's Linkgrabber page.. It sometimes can take quite a few minutes for it to do so as JD2 processes the links and looks for the content to download.

12. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

I checked "Load best version only" for vimeo videos. But still the problem that the source is offline.
    If I open the homepage of the producerpage in my browser, it is asking for an account and password (this is no vimeo-account!).
    How Jdownloader should know these credentials? Maybe this is the problem with my Jdownloader !?

Settings for vimeo-plugin: https://picload.org/view/rparrrra/jdownloader.jpg.html

13. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Hi @cheeseman909 , I just went and checked Firefox/VideoDownloadHelper in Vimeo and had no trouble downloading.

Be aware, downloading streams with this add-on works even when you notice no apparent action. I have downloaded streams and thought they failed when all of the sudden the finished .mp4 appeared on the desktop. Start the download and let the program get its act together. It may surprise you to see it works after all.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  14. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

1. Copy the viemo/YT links
    2. Paste here http://keepvid.com/
    3. Select the quality
    4. Download with your favourite download manager.

Its is so easy my 6 year old cousin is also using it to download counter strike gameplays :wink:

And for live streaming video, Internet Download Manager can do it..

15. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I think we will be unable to help you if you don't give us the tutorials site address.. (there should be some free videos there, I guess)
    - are you sure these are vimeo videos or some proprietary streaming mashup
    - many streaming services use some kind of protection (like cutting videos in small parts and so on..)
    - I don't use JD2 atm - IDM does the job for me. But JD2 should get the job done too
    - I guess password doesn't matter.. you should be watching video online when you want to "grab" it (already logged in)
    - as a last resort you can use something like screen video capture software (FRAPS for instance). It makes huge files and is not as convenient but you can encode the videos in to something smaller later - like a mp4,.. container.

Or maybe I don't get it.. just guessing. ;)

16. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

@Aileron: The downloadhelper don't need a converter for free vimeo oder youtube video (just checked). But for, let's say payed or private videos" Downloadhelper needs the converter! It is a known problem/feature. See here: http://www.downloadhelper.net/about-licensing.php

@all other: The problem is that after loggin into the webpage with my credentials, Jdownloader can't find it "offline".
    Same with keepvid.com, Bigasoft Video Downloader Pro and flashvideodownloader.
    If I open the sourcecode of the webpage I find only one vimeo-link like this (hxxps=httpd):
    </a></p><p><iframe src="hxxps://player.vimeo.com/video/162425882" width="800" height="380" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=.....
    If I copy only the link "hxxps://player.vimeo.com/video/162425882" into Windows clipboard, Jdownloader's Linkgrabber says "offline".
    Pasting this link into a new Tab of my browser, the vimeo webpage says:
    We are sorry.
    Due to its own data protection settings, this video can not be played here.

I'm 99% sure of problem: They are protected or in other words "Vimeo don't allow to download it because the videos are not freely available for everyone!". You have to pay for this service.
    I (everyone) can download vimeo-videos from the startpage with Jdownloader because they are free or don't begin with https://player!

17. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

..so as it seems they protected their stuff. And if they did it properly you have little chance to "hack" it. I did it once with our public TV protected stuff - but somebody much smarter than me wrote on a forum how to get to the "hidden" url..

I guess that leaves you with FRAPS or similar.. If you can see it on screen, you can capture it. Like putting a camera in front..
    This is "brute force" but unless somebody comes with better alternative..

18. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

It is still easy to download with Downloadhelper but the converter from them are inserting this bad-ass watermark into the video.
    I need medicine for the converter!

19. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

20. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

@coolbeanz: "Free Video Downloader" is the same like all other. It could not download videos from protected sites!

21. mono

mono Audiosexual

you could try snagit or camtasia there are lots of copys around wink wink.
    https://www.techsmith.com/
    I found as well sometimes you can just rename a video format instead of converting it
    just change it to .mp4 and see if vlc player will play it.