How to downlad a FULL web page (with sound files) with Firefox ?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Lord Gaga, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Hello all,

No trick here, but a real question *yes* .
    I'm looking for a Firefox extension (or other workaround) for downloading a FULL web page with all the Flash Player sound files which are included as examples. This, of course, for reading a tutorial and listen to its examples in a convenient way when I'm off-line. Please look here to see what I mean :

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/how-to-produce-a-downtempo-triphop-beat/

I've tested many extensions (don't ask me their names cos I don't remember), but none are able to manage those f.....g Flash Player sound files :snuffy: . As soon as I'm off-line, I get the "File not found" or "File missing" message when I click on a "Play" button.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

LG

3. The Drum King

The Drum King Ultrasonic

lol, i use HTTrack, but you have to install then insert the link and download the whole site, it gets everything as a 1:1 copy

Check it out!

HTTrack

Also if it ever gets "stuck" just cancel the download and try again, usually never happens, but just in case.

4. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Thanks a lot, but I know this app and it doesn't download those Flash Player sound files. Maybe it's my fault, but I've tried many times (with "levels" sets at 1,2,3...) and I end up with a huge folder containing the site (+ some others links, depending on the "levels" settings) but... without Flash Player sound files.

In fact, I don't want to download the whole site, but only one page...

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

yeah i wanna ask the same - i'm working sometimes in the train and then ready and try to get this tutorials down on my own - so this means no internet then - but these audiosamples are really important - any idea?!

6. vdjay

vdjay Newbie

for streaming media capture use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashgot/
    :wink:

7. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

So I will have to download first the web page with a Firefox extension (name one...), and then the sound files with Flashgot, is that right ?
    But where should I place these sound files for they could be read when I press the "Play" button in the web page ???

8. The Drum King

The Drum King Ultrasonic

Before you get the page, select the filters, make sure to choose media as well.

After you click next twice where it says "Web Address (URL)" box

Under that there is a button it says "Set Options"

Go to the "Scan Rules" Tab

Select the third check box filter [mov, mpg, mpeg, avi, etc...]

Click Ok and continue :wink:

9. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Okay, I've done everything you've said and... it didn't work.
    So I went even further...
    In the "Set options", under the "Limits" tab, I've set "Maximum mirroring depth" to 2 and "Maximum external depth" to 1.
    Then, under the "Links" tab, I checked the boxes "Attempt to detect all links (even in unknown tags/javascript code)" and "Get non-HTML files related to a link, eg external ZIP or pictures".
    This procedure gives me all the page, except one animated banner and... those F.....G sound files !!!
    I become crazy...

PS : Will you please make a test with the link of my first post. After downloading, don't forget to disconnect your computer from the web (lol) and erase all temporary Internet files (eg with CCLeaner).

10. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

a long, long time ago i used Offline Explorer to download whole page.

now, in most cases, if i need to download media, i simply click FlashGot media (FF Addon), and it shows all embedded media.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Yes Saint, I know and I've done it with FlashGot, but separately from the web page. What I'm trying to do is to get those sound files "embedded" or "linked" with the web page. I can not download an entire web page with FlashGot, do you ?

12. SAiNT

i don't think so *no*
    but you can separately download files and the page, then move those files into the page folder and see what happens... maybe they'll work.

or try Offline Explorer.

13. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

No, it doesn't work, unless you edit all sound files' links from the web page so they can refer to the new folder you've put sound files into... a real PITA.

I will try it. Thanks.

14. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Argggghhh... Offline Explorer doesn't work either (Pro, Enterprise and Portable).

Conclusion :

- with Scrapbook, a Firefox free extension, you can DL an entire web page (except the Flash Player mp3's)
    - with FlashGot, another free extension, you can DL all Flash Player mp3's from this web page

BUT...

- there is no only one free extension with which you can do both
    - neither Offline Explorer Enterprise Edition (500 $) can do it

and that's totally insane.

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I've used OE and HTTrack as well, but I never liked the many clicks required just to get one page completely.
    Lately, I found something better: Network Miner. Check the latest version from netresec.com.

It's far from being a perfectly reliable or stable utility, and sometimes it cuts off directory names without obvious reason, but at least it managed to get all files under the respective subdirectories named like the original web servers.
    BTW, the audio files and images have been loaded from d3vvl31cy8gagb.cloudfront.net instead if audio.tutsplus.com.

There's however a "Happiness Limiter": While you'll get all the files without even configuring anything (Just run the miner, then browse the web page (clear the cache before!)), you won't get a browseable local copy of the sites.
    (The links in the html's still refer to http://..., and some files are renamed.).

But better than nothing, I believe. At least you get all the files.

16. The Drum King

The Drum King Ultrasonic

Yea, i was gonna mention that "Offline Explorer" made by MetaProducts [the Enterprise version is the best!] and is easier to use than HTTrack if you want a portable version PM me and i'll upload for you.

17. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Well, thanks to all for your advices. I'm gonna stick with Scrapbook and FlashGot. Too bad for the integration of web page's sound files... I will play these from a separate folder.

@ SAiNT : how can you acceed to the "Select URLs" windows in FlashGot (showed in your second screenshot) ?

18. SAiNT

hmm, maybe that wasn't exactly FlashGot.. i use it in combination with Net Transport.
    it's the best Download manager and i've been using it for almost 10 years.

19. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Great term :rofl: