How to do midi loops in Reaper?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Olymoon, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Hi, I'm recent Reaper user, and I cant find the way to make midi takes loop, at least not the usual simple way.

Concrete example: I recorded a 4 bars midi take, but I stopped the record at 4 bars plus 2 steps.
    In other DAWs I've been working with, you only have to pass your mouse over the end of the take, some symbol appears, you click and move the end to the place it should be, in this case 4 bars.
    Once the take is resized, you indicate the DAW that you are going to loop it, and again over the mouse at the end of it, some symbol appears, click on it and drag it until you have enough loops of it.
    But with Reaper, even after resizing the part, it loops at its original end, in this case 4 bars plus 2 steps.

The only solution I've found is to edit the take, and cut it to the size I wanted through a menu, which is not practical, a lost of time, not intuitive.
    And sometime you may have an 8 bars take that you want to loop at 4 bars only at some point, then use it again as an 8 bar take. In other Daws the take remains at its original state in the DAW's memory, even reduced to 4 bars and looped.

Is there a way to do it easier?

Thanks in advance for your help.

3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i only briefly tried using reaper. i immediately figured out that i did not like their implementation of midi. supposedly version 5 will have big improvements in that area.

4. orgcha

orgcha Ultrasonic

An easy way to do this is to trim it to the exact number of bars you want the loop by placing the "cursor" (not sure of the name but it indicates placement) where you want it to split and hit the S key, highlight the part you don't want and hit DELETE. Then RIGHT click on the piece to be looped and choose GLUE. After that you can just pull the end of the clip to however many repeats you want.
    Hope this helps.

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you Orgcha, I already figured that, but I though there were a more simple and intuitive way.

6. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

Not an expert on Looping but u could try the Preferences Project, Media Item Defaults Here you get the defaults as to whether u want to loop the midi source etc. Another way is just take your recording, then with loop midi source unchecked resize to 4 bars, highlight the bar & cntrl & D to create as many takes as u want etc. U can also create other shortcut keys to do the job but like I said am no expert on reaper so could have what u mean totally wrong.

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you User 137 This one method is the most practical and intuitive thanks a lot. It's more like a copy than looping,but its practical enough.
    I just tried it and it works wonder. :wink:

8. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

Hey nice one I agree more like a copy but I found it easier that way when I used it. I only stopped using Reaper because of the VST3 issue. There nothing quite like it for the money in my opinion. Is also great that they are listening to customers & implementing changes & big upgrades.
    Can't wait for Reaper 5 think it's gonna be huge. VST 3 added with the lower running on resources implemented & other stuff.
    It really is a fantastic DAW for the money so I deffo gonna invest.
    Like I said i'm no expert on it but apparently with the advanced midi stuff & other things there a load of shortcuts etc & your own stuff u can implement similar to Macros say in studio one which personalise workflow.
    Each to there own of course & that but for me I might even purchase it now as a license now I think (don't quote me lol) purchasing a license now includes upgrades through REAPER 5.99 & they may put the price up though knowing the way they are I doubt they will cause they a very fair company imo :wink:

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes, I agree with you that Cockos is one of the most user concerned company. I'm thinking of buying Reaper 5 when it comes out, that's why I seriously trying all I can from the actual version.
    VST3 is definitely a great improvement.