How to Deep Dark Vocals

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Molly Poppins, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

Hi,
    I hope someone can teach me how create these types of Vocals or FX on Vocals.

Vocals areound 3:40

2:55

Big thanks in advance, waiting for your Ideas!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I would say tuned with Soundtoys Alterboy for example,Polyverse Manipulator or Zplane Elastic pitch.Then reverb of course.In the first video maybe a phaser?I'm not sure.

Ask to our expert @Baxter for sound design techniques.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

to get you started:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

First one sounds like multi-pitch (multiple pitches on the same source) through some fast tremolo and reverb.

Second one sounds like regular pitch shift down and highpass filter (to cut the lows). Maybe some microshift and automated Haas as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

@Blue: thanky you, will try them out
    @reliefsan: thank you, 1st Video Alterboy I will check out, 2nd I hadalready watched before

7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Thank you @Baxter for helping the OP :guru:

8. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

Hi Baxter, can you elaborate? I am FL & Ableton user. What do you mean multi pitch? Changed the pitch on vocals multiple copies and then layered?

I found this when I googled it,

Position Micro-shifting (The Haas Effect)
    The basis of this technique is doubling (of 1 mono track). The pan position of the original is set all the way to left and pan knob of the duplicate is set all the way to the right. After setting that up, we will disable the Snap option in the transport bar of the SoundBridge: DAW and slightly drag the duplicate audio event forward in time.

Idk, what he means by duplicate audio event forward in time? Is that like the track delay in Ableton?

[​IMG]

So, multi pitch is when I have 2 sources of the vocals, 1 transpose by like increasing 50 cents and decreasing the other by 30 cents?

I am a noob considering this, big thanks!

9. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

[​IMG]

10. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

An easiest way to achieve a Haas effect is to insert Valhalla Delay,100% wet,"delay time" 0 ms,"feedback" 0 and (automate it or not) raise slightly the "spread" knob.Many delay could do the job as well,such as Soundtoys Echoboy for example,by setting the "L/R offset" >0 and "Width" to the max.
    Some DAW have a little plugin that can do the Haas effect,like Logic on Mac.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Maxim Getman

Maxim Getman Producer

Best Answer
    1st video voice:
    I'm pretty sure that the chain is the next.
    1) Vocoder with a lot of formant shifting (it's 99% true cuz a lot of noise there)
    2) That some FreqShift in +0,3 - +0,7 shift (with crazy wideness)
    3) eq'ng
    4)delay L-R
    5)Phaser to make it move.
    Also, to make such a roomy effect. you must add Vocal Hall with 0,5-0,7 Sec of Decay and freeze REVERSED vocal sample. Then Reverse the Hall again.

I did fast chain, and add screenshot to make it more easier to copy.
    Depending on vocals initial compression you have to play with DRY/WET at every plugin here:
    <3 Снимок экрана 2020-03-26 в 2.40.35 ПП.png

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Maxim Getman

Maxim Getman Producer

2nd video voice:
    Is just a formant shifting.
    In Ableton use warp->-12 semitones->mode(Complex Pro)-> 0-30 Formant

But it also hard depends on the initial sample you pick. I think BRO Safari recorded it in a whispering way, and then simple pitch+formant shifted it.

<3

13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

1) Yes. Multipitch is what I consider a "harmonizer" or "choir" plugin with a fixed interval such as any vocal doubler, like Waves Doubler or Eventide Quadravoice. There are freeware out there like KeroVee. It spits out polyphonic pitches (fixed intervals) from the source pitch. Say you add +2, +4, +6 (devilish tritone) semitones from your original vocal. The effect is kinda "eery" (evil siamese twin) on spoken word and can be used to make scary/ghostly voices in any b-movie.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/effects/diatonic-pitch-shift/quadravox
    https://www.waves.com/plugins/doubler

2) Haas is delaying one side from 0.1ms to 40ms, to imitate the psychoacoustics of how we percieve the location of sound. If a sound is reaching our left ear first (by a millisecond or less) our brain goes "oh, the sound is coming slightly from the left!". :)
    The "easiest" way to get Haas effect is to throw this freeware on a stereo bus (even if the audio on that stereo bus is mono and centered):
    https://www.vennaudio.com/quick-haas/
    http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=freeHaas&id=2682

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

15. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

Ok, done doing recommendations. I learned a lot today, thanks a lot. I did not have some plugins but got doubler and quick haas.

However, I have a last question: I start every Ableton Project with 5 Send Channnels, 3 Reverb -1 Left Pan, 1 Right Pan, 1 Center, Delay 3, Delay 4-8. I learned this because to save PC resources instead of putting a Reverb / Delay on every Sample and to give room for my sounds, to place them within a room / stage so that they are more dynamic. Is this also a kind of haas effect?

[​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

@Maxim Getman : Your recommendations were spot on, I recreated the vocals on both sounds. It does depend on the vocal but it was fun inserting different vocals and seeing how they change.

Thanks to all of you. What a qualitative community, dont remember any other Forum where people helped with such good professional advice!

I think I am going to stay here! :wink:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020