How to de-click and de-noise only a vocal in a full mix?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by here287, Sep 29, 2022.

1. here287

here287 Noisemaker

Hello!

I have a mix that I have to master, but there's a problem; the vocal has click sounds. I want to remove those click sounds, and also perform de-noise, but only on vocal, not on the full mix. Is it possible?

Going back to mixing phase is not possible.

If possible, please also suggest how I can do restoration of a full mix, in case above-mentioned task is not possible to perform.

I want to learn the art of digital restoration, be it for a full mix, or a single element like vocal, guitar or any other sound.

Thanks for reading!

3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

No guarantees, but RX10 Mouth De-click might possibly work even with the vocal mixed. The noise will be unlikely to be anything you can fix without wrecking the whole thing but again RX has some tools you can try. There's also ACON and some other high end stuff but I have no experience with that.

4. terrific!

terrific! Guest

As Trurl said or get out your arsenal of utility plugins and a magnifying glass and prepare for a, depending what and on how many issues, long and tedious process of manually editing, processing and automating the issues away. Are the "clicks" IN the actual vocal sound or like in between words like recording start/stop points? I guess they'd still be in the music if its a busy mix, but might be a little less obvious to needlepoint clean those up using EQ or something. Its really difficult to say without hearing the issues.

5. here287

here287 Noisemaker

Clicks are throughout the vocal. In between + whenever the vocalist performs. :(

6. here287

here287 Noisemaker

I don't know much about restoration.

I will try mouth declick.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

If that doesn't, you could try using RX music rebalance or RipX. So basically, like you would be creating an acapella. It works by frequency separation, basically. And then doing your de-clicking and other processing to just the vocal, bouncing it. And then bringing the cleaned up vocal back in. Maybe in parallel with the copy. You'll get a different result, but maybe not a better one. :)

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

As others have said there are no guarantees, (and elaborating slightly on @clone's advice) giving you you an idea of the process I would use to approach this type of thing. I would create two copies of the mix giving you 3 in total. I would isolate the vocals on 1 best I could, and do the same but trying to remove the vocals on the next track, leaving the 3rd track unprocessed.
    Once I had one vocal, one instrumental I would then carefully blend a mix of all three to give the best results.

9. here287

here287 Noisemaker

Will try.

10. here287

here287 Noisemaker

Will try.

11. boomoperators

boomoperators Kapellmeister

The key is to select "only" the higher amplitude of the click so you do not mess with the harmonic content of the track. As with any restoration tool, A/B frequently and try to lessen processing until you're confortable with it.
    You can use the lasso tool and pin-point the culprit in RX.

You can also switch the waveform to spectrogram view and there change the opacity to see them better.

12. here287

here287 Noisemaker

Will
    Also going to try this.