How To Cut Room Noise ?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by rice-exe, Mar 11, 2019.

1. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Put a blanket during recording over your amp and mic. That's it!

2. rice-exe

rice-exe Noisemaker

what do you mean when you say "cutting" ?

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Pull 'em down.

4. No Avenger

At least this works with my girlfriend. :yes: :rofl:

5. rice-exe

rice-exe Noisemaker

here's an example with gate added, you still can hear the noise (a "hiss" sounds like compressed air or gas going off) over the guitar

Attached Files:

6. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

Cudo suggested you a great choice. Izotope RX 7 Standard offers nice de-hum, denoiser and de-verb plugins. The Advanced edition offers some other interesting plug-ins to "remove" -at least partially- other unwanted sounds in live ambience recordings. I tested the de-verb plugin with an old cassette recording made in a huge garage with lots of reverb from the walls, and... the results were incredible. I'm not saying it turned it into a professional demo, but it removed the ambience reverb almost completely, giving the recording a different feel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. No Avenger

Would've been better without the gate.

8. rice-exe

rice-exe Noisemaker

here, no effects added

Attached Files:

9. No Avenger

Ah, this was exactly what I wanted and the result is partly what I already expected. This is the noise from the end of your file, normalized to -1dBFS

Firstly, I can hear something like a printer running in the background, secondly, since I can hear that high hiss sound even without the guitar signal, the problem is not the room's acoustic.
    I don't think it's caused by the signal chain either, it sounds like a static noise from a machine. To find the source of this signal you could use your mic by amplifying the its signal or just turning up the volume a lot and pan it around in the room. But you need to wear headphones, otherwise you'll get a nasty feedback.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. rice-exe

rice-exe Noisemaker

will do, the thing is i only have a computer, there's no other machine in my room, so its probably the computer, which means theres not much to do other than fix it while mixing

ill try to record something in my phone while the pc is off and see if the sound is still there

11. No Avenger

Ýou can hold the mic closer to your computer and hear if the noise is getting louder.

Is there no place in your room where the noise is lower, or can't you build a sonic barrier?

12. Recoil

Recoil Guest

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. removed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2020
  14. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

This isnt room noise. This is noise floor. This noise floor isnt coming from your "room". It sounds like its coming from the mic, also, the hiss gets louder when the guitar is playing. It actually sounds like a small mic that is cone shaped with a plastic housing. The mic itself is making that hollow hiss sound, and any frequency in that room is being collected and funneled into the mic and the plastic is giving that hiss acoustic.

The reason I say this isnt room noise is the fact it gets louder when the guitar is playing, and also because if it was room noise, you would be able to hear it with your ears...find it...and eliminate the noise. No Mic on the planet with any pattern would solve room noise(for the most part).

How are you going into your sound card? What is your complete signal chain? Makes, models, soundcards, cables used, mic model, etc? Also your sound input level, how much you have your gain/trims set, master fader, etc.. essentially, how hot is your mixer channel...

IF it was your room, you would simply need to A)Find and eliminate the sound, if thats not possible then B) build a makeshift sound dampening room/tent/thing or C)Put the mic CLOSER to the guitar/desired sound to make the guitar sound that much more louder than the noise floor (essenstially making the noise floor lower) How hot are you recording?

Then GENTLY use something with a noise profile for noise cancelation, sample only the noise and gently use it to remove a few more db of noise (but this needs to be avoided) Waves X-Noise is especially good at this, as well as Izotope RX-7 (but I think waves is actually better). Again, noise reduction should be a last resort.

Bottom line is this - you already know your issue. ANy cheap ass mic and pre-amp will solve this issue. An SM57 into a 2 channel Behringer Mixer would sound world better than your Xbox Gaming headset mic sounding thing you are using now. lol. No offense.

15. rice-exe

rice-exe Noisemaker

I obviously know that if im going to record i need a good setup, i cant plan to eat soup with a fork, i know i have to get a mic and a preamp, the thing is, im new to mixing, recording, i still dont know how to recognize accurately which noise and sounds is which, i thought it was the room because i didnt know a mic could have noise itself even in total silence, to be honest i wouldn't have imagined that in a hundred years.
    :hillbilly:

16. rice-exe

rice-exe Noisemaker

I did three tests, one with the mic im using, and two with my cellphone,
    as expected the one with the mic had the same noise, close and away from pc.

The other two, pc on and pc off had the same noise, just that the one with the pc off was lower just by a little bit.

Anyways, i should go buy the proper equipment and then see what's what.

17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Included I assume " for the most part" would be to use a figure 8 mic and use the null, or the dead spot in the capture pattern to advantage by aiming it at the noisy culprit. It has worked for me to quell a noisy computer, isolate a vocal from a singer/songwriter's guitar and to keep at bay instrument bleed while in a live recording situation where everybody (or most everybody) is in the same room when the red light comes on.

Yes, for Goddess sake, yes!