How to custom snare drum?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Jacob12177, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Jacob12177

Jacob12177 Guest

Hello community. I need help.

I watched a tutorial where the producer made a custom snare drum from two different sound samples combined together, but inserting each sound on it's own bus to process FXs separetly.
    The problem is he was using Pro Tools while I'm a Reaper user and now I don't know how to do it on my DAW

- I want to make my own snare drum from two different samples joining them together but keeping the posibility to retouch them separetly.

As you can notice, I am newbie.
    Can you help me please?

Thank you so much.

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Best Answer
    You just layer them (on different tracks) and process each differently. Samples, Samplers, synth drum VSTi, etc. Just make sure they (fundamental frequency/"body") are aligned in phase and not cancel each other out (Tip: render samplers and drum synths to audio and then zoom in a lot to see the phase/polarity). Play around with phase inversion, filters, EQ, envelopes, etc. Don't underestimate reverb (on certain layers) to create the psychoacoustic effect of something being louder than it is. Have fun!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Jacob12177

Jacob12177 Guest

Got it! Thank you Baxter for your reply and your help!
    Cheers!

5. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Was he using a certain sampler to play the samples or did he just insert the samples as audio files directly in the timeline (I've seen FL Studio producers doing this, for some weird reason)?

If you are using a sampler like ReaSamplomatic5000, Battery, Speedrum etc you simply just load in two snare samples and either just make them both play at the same time when you are creating the MIDI beat (like in the pic below), or you can set both samples to trigger from the same MIDI note (you should be able to edit this in the settings of the sample player).

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. aleksy

aleksy Kapellmeister

Speaking of layering and alignment, if the fundamental frequency of the two snares you mix are in different pitches you might run into either "dissonance" or cancellation at certain points in time either way.
    In that case either adjust the pitch of the snare fundamentals to each other (precisely!) or filter the fundamental of one of them out so it doesn't get in the way in the first place.

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Like this way?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Jacob12177

Jacob12177 Guest

Yes, It should be this way.
    One more thing I forgot to tell... both samples played with the same midi.

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

No problem, just route the output of the track with MIDI to the other one (IOW, click and hold Route and drag it on the other track).

Oh, of course you'd need to set it to Pre-FX
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

alot of those youtube guys like to do more than whats necessary so they appear to know more than they really do while at the same time calling themselves "producers" when they dont work with anyone but themselves.... Dont follow youtube tutorials, just sit at your computer for years like I did and learn everything yourself.. I did grow up singing, classically trained with voice lessons from a young age, so I had a leg up tonally over the people that rearrange loops and make clone music like everyone else. When I EQ, I don't need to sweep the whole spectrum and only have to focus in on a small range/spot because I can hear frequencies and harmonize almost anything thanks to my musical background. You'll get there, but please, for the love of your sanity NEVER follow youtube shitass "producer" advice. If they mention "gain staging" steer clear... they are an NPC

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

From what I read this is what the OPs will need. Kind of the tracks/buses layout needed and then you do your things like @Baxter said.

I agree with that generally speaking.
    But when it comes to snares in certain genres, layering two of them is a technique that really works and most really good mixers/producers use a lot. I'm not sure yet but I think one of the reasons GetGoodDrums Kontakt libraries (rock/metal) sound so good is they automatically do this.

12. Jacob12177

Jacob12177 Guest

I agree. When I used to work on FL Studio, most of the things I noticed them on my own... but then I switched to Reaper and you know... a lot of things changed to me.

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Layering drums sound is absolutely common. Three kick mics, maybe plus sample, up and down snare mics, maybe plus sample, not to speak of all the other sounds like vocals, guitars, synth, orchestral instruments, ...

14. Jacob12177

Jacob12177 Guest

This time it's a Synthwave Retro - Pop styled track.
    The snare sounds like hybrid between a Kick and the popular Linndrum LM-2 snare.
    Doing this you make a more punchy snare in the low freq.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  15. Jacob12177

Jacob12177 Guest

One day, I tried to save time and a lot of steps making this snare recording both samples with the Edison plugin of FL Studio, but to be honest it was a bad idea and it doesn't sound the same...

16. Jacob12177

Jacob12177 Guest

I really thank everyone for the help. I'll try to do my best with all the advice.
    Sometimes asking for help is knowledge, too.
    This is a great community, great people.
    Cheers!

Jacob

17. curtified

curtified Rock Star

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think you should follow the advice of getting a dedicated sampler. I looked at "Drum Workflow using Reaper" results on Google, and I noticed a larger than usual percentage of the posts being about NI Battery4. But any of them will do, just stick to the one you pick to use. So in the future, when you are using another DAW software or maybe working in different locations, etc; You will always have *your sampler*. Every one of them has its' own different learning curve. That becomes a thing of the past. You will always be able to fire up Tal-Drum or Battery, or any other sampler you might pick. In short order, you will know it like the back of your hand.

Sonic Academy Kick 2 is also great for layering drum one-shot samples. (as Clicks).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  19. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Ok, so how would you do one share from 2 in Reaper?

20. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

Reading back I get the idea I'm not supposed to talk about Backbeat from Steinberg :D (the first rule of Audiosex)

I was doing this yesterday for the first time. Insane ability without doing the mental EQ stuff on two halves of a Snare

This thing creates new samples when you split the tonal and noise so you can literally take the bit you like from each to create the new sound that you want... And it also tells you the key of each sample so you can pitch them into key with each other, or set them off for something harmonic

A piece of advice I'd give to myself if I'd listen is to not fall down the rabbit hole. Figure out how to use it, then get to where you want pretty quickly and move on. You could spend days building new samples and forget to make music

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

if you have a project where you are only workign with two snares... then just use two separate tracks... no need for busses. It would make sense to buss them into a stereo buss if you were working with two snares like this in a song. But if its only two snares in the project it would be two tracks, going to the master buss and thats the summing... cant get any easier than that my man!

I strictly use busses if I am adding fx to a source track. the source track has no output, but is sent to two seperate busses, one 100% wet, one dry, then sum those into a third buss where you can affect the blend.... automating the dry in and out of wet signal is nice with tape loops... I make ambient/drone music, and trippy guitar music where I apply this same method

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List