How to create Great Melodies!!!

Discussion in 'Education' started by shandroke, Apr 18, 2013.

1. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

Unless you have absolute hearing any minor chord will do the trick. *yes*

2. uber909

uber909 Member

The guy obviously know the subject... he stole most of his patents from Tesla. Fxxkin crook.

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Shandroke,

Here come the so famous 'Greek' Modes, and as follows :

I Ionian
    II Dorian
    III Phrygian
    IV Lydian
    V Myxolydian
    VI Aeolian
    VII Locrian

As in a previous comment, if you take the 'C' (Major) scale as a starting point, you can then use these 'Greek' Modes to improvise (create, play, write melodies) within that scale and with all the notes that comprised that scale :

C Ionian
    D Dorian
    E Phrygian
    F Lydian
    G Myxolydian
    A Aeolian
    B Locrian

As you can see, each of these Modes start on a different note (degree) of the SAME SCALE.
    All these Modes USE ONLY the notes comprised in the selected Major scale, and SOLELY these notes.

In fact, always in 'C' (Major), the 'Ionian Mode' (First Mode) corresponds to the well known notes : C - D - E - F - G - A - B comprised in that scale.

The 'Aeolian Mode' (Sixth Mode) corresponds to the relative minor scale of any chosen Major scale.

That's the reason why I told you, and as you said it also, a lot of mathematics and/or logic are behind the Music Theory...

A last example for you to understand :

You play (or you listen) a music that uses the 'A Phrygian Mode' (during some improvisations and/or melodies), you can then deduce that the Main Root of that music is : 'F', and its corresponding 'F' (Major) scale.

You can check this :

I F
    II G
    III A <-- Third note (degree) of that scale = 'A'. The third degree is 'Phrygian'
    IV Bb(A#)
    V C
    VI D
    VII E
    ----------
    VIII F

4. karamuzas

karamuzas Ultrasonic

Studio 555 and the others who are willing to help this guy,STOP.
    Don't you see that he is an ignorant kid ,thinking that he is going to be famous with no knowledge of music,not playing any instrument.
    The world is full of them.Not only in music,but also in politics.They cheat since they are born,lazy,not willing to work,but they want to reach the top.If you look, you find them around you.They think they know everything (and they have opinion for everything) but they only have scratched the surface.

@shandroke
    you said it all for yourself at your 12.20 PM post.
    ''I get what you are saying! Some people are born with a certain talent that others only wish for , this is why i want to get down to its roots to develop a technique that allows me to cheat 'feeling' music and only envision it before i create it because i am not talented to spring music out of myself so by learning its priciples i will be able to do what others does naturally! ''
    HAHAHA.YOU ALSO WANT TO ENVISION IT.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

5. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

we never stop learning! its good to help others

we all have to start somewhere

6. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

If you have no ideas, start listening to something else.

Make a point of listening to music you've never hear before, and do it for at least an hour every day. Listen to music from all ages, all styles, and all cultures. The more eclectic the better. If your brain scream in agony at the thought, ignore it. If you want to have ideas you need to feed your mind with something new.

And keep this one in mind: Inspiration comes from working every day (Baudelaire).

But perhaps you don't even want to make music? Or perhaps you want to make music of a completely different style? What is the point of faking it? There's no enjoyment in faking, it'll drain you of all energy. Find something that makes you happy, and you'll be productive.

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

And don't discount the emotional implication of intervals such as how a fourth to most people sounds triumphant. There are actually books on this topic alone that can help you know which intervals you will want to use to convey a certain feeling. Of course this is in addition to what everyone else said. I have issues writing melodies too and I think a lot of that has to do with very little MIDI availability in my genre of choice (though I like almost all of them) which is Industrial. If I were able to see an Industrial composition and arrangement it would certainly help me out a lot. It would also be great to sit in on an Industrial production session but unfortunately either because the genre isn't as popular or because producers don't want to share the hard work that they've put in I am a canary in the coal mine. I experiment a lot but it would be nice to get some direction at times rather than endlessly shifting notes in a MIDI editor.

Feridan
    I find that often I have interesting ideas but when I begin to get confronted with the difficulty in implementing them the way I had in mind I get frustrated. Oftentimes the result comes out nothing near to what I wanted in the first place and this robs my idea of the power it had initially.

8. jack

jack Newbie

Yes, Studio 555 please reconstruct "Headhunter V3" by Front 242 :grooves:

Thanks in advance.

Greets,
    Jack

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Did someone say Front 242? :grooves: :grooves: :grooves:

10. karamuzas

karamuzas Ultrasonic

This Headhunter V3 is all noisy.

This is music,and especially for studying the modes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vN6-1Zeg2w

11. jack

jack Newbie

Sure - as you said there are not much sheets for industrial music - I think Front242 is the only industrial group I like..

Sorry but what a stupid answer. If you want to play that game I would say listen to J.S.Bach this is music and not that hippy...

Greets,
    Jack

12. karamuzas

karamuzas Ultrasonic

The answer is as stupid as the question,my friend.
    As for Bach,I agree that this is music and I say that rock and jazz composers are influenced by classical music.But that's another topic.