How to choose a good ribbon controller

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by ovalf, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I love ribbon controllers but ipad is tiny for my big fingers, so I decide to buy something bigger that fits well on top of one of my keyboards.
    Things that preocupate me:

1 durability: I am in Brazil eveything will costa 110% with the taxes, the same 110% if I send the controller to repair. At the internet I found a lot of people with problem with their ribbon controllers.
    2 price, do not need a new sythetizer, only midi its good enought.
    3 painless expressiveness. Chords, auto-tune, many CC commands at the same time as possible;
    4 Polyphonic pithbend? I know that only ipad apps have this like Alchemy (desktop do not), can be possible in Zebra too.
    5 50cm at least
    6 compatible with normal key size of keyboards/ picht of the ribbon.
    7 mac osx and windows editors
    8 play in pitch! I see so many out-of-tune people playing ribbon controllers on Youtube that I hurted my soul and may ear :excl: I do not know why someone at Youtube do not fix the pitch in this videos. :dunno: With auto-tune and the ribbon side-by-side at the keys of keyboard it should be easy to play(I would like to play the keys too), right?
    9 Please no suggestion of theremins, I think that must have a hard practice to play something simple. :dancing:

I found some candidates
    http://www.doepfer.de/R2M.htm
    seams the better one
    http://www.doepfer.de/a198.htm
    antecesor
    http://www.eowave.com/instruments.php?prod=78
    seams the worst, fragile in reviews, who wants lofi synths?
    used Kurzweil ExpressionMate XM-1

I know about diy projects, but I wanna something reliable... there are km of cables and eletronics that always need atention at studio.
    One thing that europeans and north americans must imagine (in diy cases) is that local stores do not have much of the components that I need, for this China and Ebay are the best, but many people do not send to South America, maybe they are afraid of Snakes :rofl:

So any sugestion or personal experiences are very welcome,
    Masters of musical eletronic hardware, please show me the light! :bow:

3. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

An auto tune ribbon controller is called a "MIDI keyboard". What's the point of such device if it corrects to a fixed pitch? You could do the very same by learning to use a pitch bend wheel correctly.

As for cello, fretless basses, and such, you'll have to train your ears and arms into that. I never saw anyone asking for a cello "that will play in tune". It'll be difficult at first like any other non-temperamental instrument.

Eowave thingy looks right to me. You can use it as a midi controller. They have another device that's ribbon based and not "lofi".
    This is good too : http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/hakenaudioovervg.html

The main reason sellers won't ship to south-america is because there's a lot of stealing going on at postal center, and at customs.

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Almost all the theremins-like of ipad have auto-tune, even Jordan uses auto-tune, almost all of the theremins and ribbon controllers have this facility. The problem with the tune is when you rest the finger but mm can make a difference. Generally all the good players of today use auto-tune in a low tunning, of course I am a stupid if I wanna use the auto-tune in high degree, thats not the porpouse, spend money to play scales :dunno: .
    I use graphical correction of tune for more than 30 years, so I'm no novice, and for shure I know that out-of-tune is beauty and a necessecity, this is why I am go to buy a ribbon controller. Of course I do not need to train my ears, a had coursed 8 years (I stopped my piano course) at the music university (serial composition). Also I have a commercial studio for 30 years.
    Man you do not need to supose that everyone is a fool. Do you think that someone spend money in a thing like this to do something that you already can do? Please...
    Eowave do not show the bad reviews in their site, the future music is the only one that found their product really good.
    Haken is very expensive, the chepear is 3400 Euros..insane
    Well I found very good people here that can read, talk about the topic and share EXPERIENCES polited, wirh backgroud, with ni preconceit, with love. Seems that this time I had no luck!
    1 You talk poorly about auto-tune (not the topic).
    2 You do not show any experience with this gear
    3 A joke about postage to Soth america and you expose yours preconceit
    4 You do not know that many theremins and ribbon controllers have auto-tune function and talked about something you do not know (again).
    5 You talk about "think" but exposure your ignorancy, to talk about something you must have background. You tested the haiken or eowave?
    6 Stealing have everyware, the Mail in Brazi is pristine, the only problem is that many people buy outside with the hope of not being taxed 110% over the price of the product+shipping.
    7 look at the flags in Audioz, USA is the first by far.

Goods of music I hope that someone share real experience about the topic.
    I am missing my real mates in this topic, I need hugs :mates: