How to Change Native Instruments default VST folder

Discussion in 'PC' started by au38wzh, Mar 17, 2014.

1. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

Most (all?) NI products have to be installed in the default installation folder, right?

Means: I can change the installation path, but it changes back to the default path.
    So, the main programms and the vst's (dll's) has to be installed in the given path by the installer.
    Afterwards I move the VST (dll) in my VST folder on a different partition.

Is it only for me or can someone install NI products (not just the dll's) somewhere else than on the system partition?
    Asking, coz my system partition is a bit small, so it would be good for me to change the application path.
    I'm on PC, Win8.1-64bit (it was the same with Win7-64bit), if it matters.

Thanks!

3. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

I think is intended to be a system partition like other software too.

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Not really true, but you have to know how to use RegEdit to edit the paths for all the plugins you want to change their location. I do that regularly for years now and only an odd instrument here and there can't really be installed on some other partition then the OS partition.

Here's an example of how I edited paths in the registry for Battery 3.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Battery 3]
    "InstallVSTDIR"="C:\\Programs\\Audio\\VST"
    "InstallDir"="D:\\Samples\\Battery"
    "ContentDir"="D:\\Samples\\Battery\\"

For me it's a piece of cake to edit this, boring and tedious actually... but you might find it too complicated, I don't know how much you know about the Windows OS. This is the way how to control the path and installation of many programs and plugins as all you need is edit the keys that are usually under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE I'm sure that this will help someone, though. I routinely install programs in VirtualBox OS then copy all the necessary files to my real OS and export all the registry entries of the particular program and edit them to my liking. I honestly can't remember when was the last time I installed anything in my real OS. Every installation in Windows makes loads of unnecessary registry entries and you should avoid bloating the registry if you plan on using your OS for a long time and keep it working as smoothly as on the day when you installed it. Cleaning the registry with CCleaner [Crap Cleaner] is also a good way of maintaining the registry small, but it can only help so much.

Cheers!

5. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Yes, but he ask for complete installation of program data, so then you can install battery to partition d:

d:\battery\program files\
    d:\battery\data\
    etc...

I think there is no problem and maybe it works, but is dedicated to be installed on system partition in program files.

If installer ask for main program files path then you can for sure...